Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jorge Isaac Martínez Hatch <im...@quaxar.com> on 2006/05/09 02:16:45 UTC

Connector ports

Hi,

Why does some connectors used for SSL refer to the port "443" and other connectors to "8433"?

I want to search on this because I hava a binding issue on my tomcat configuration.

Thank you,
Isaac Martínez

Re: Connector ports

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Jorge Isaac Martínez Hatch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Why does some connectors used for SSL refer to the port "443" and other connectors to "8433"?
Port 443 is the standard. On *nix boxes users do not necessarily have
permission to bind to ports below 1024. Using 8443 means non-privileged
users can test apps that use SSL. It also prevents clashes if another
server, eg Apache, is already listening on 443.

Mark