Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Shalom Sagges <sh...@liveperson.com> on 2017/03/09 15:32:26 UTC

A Single Dropped Node Fails Entire Read Queries

Hi Cassandra Users,

I hope someone could help me understand the following scenario:

Version: 3.0.9
3 nodes per DC
3 DCs in the cluster.
Consistency Local_Quorum.

I did a small resiliency test and dropped a node to check the availability
of the data.
What I assumed would happen is nothing at all. If a node is down in a 3
nodes DC, Local_Quorum should still be satisfied.
However, during the ~10 first seconds after stopping the service, I got
timeout errors (tried it both from the client and from cqlsh.

This is the error I get:
*ServerError:
com.google.common.util.concurrent.UncheckedExecutionException:
com.google.common.util.concurrent.UncheckedExecutionException:
java.lang.RuntimeException:
org.apache.cassandra.exceptions.ReadTimeoutException: Operation timed out -
received only 4 responses.*

After ~10 seconds, the same query is successful with no timeout errors. The
dropped node is still down.

Any idea what could cause this and how to fix it?

Thanks!

--
This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this on behalf of the

Re: A Single Dropped Node Fails Entire Read Queries

Posted by Shalom Sagges <sh...@liveperson.com>.
Upgrading to 3.0.12 solved the issue.

Thanks a lot for the help Joel!

Shalom Sagges