Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Marc Schoechlin <ms...@256bit.org> on 2008/06/05 15:35:20 UTC

request : disable storeing of passwords as default

Hi,

we are using subversion for administration purposes and we really
dislike that subversion stores password as default.

Re: request : disable storeing of passwords as default

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.
Marc Schoechlin <ms...@256bit.org> writes:
> we are using subversion for administration purposes and we really
> dislike that subversion stores password as default.
>
> From my point of view storing of passwords per default is not a good
> idea because:
>
>  * unix systems are often shared environments
>    (subversion cleartext passwords can be abused on other services
>    with the same passwords)
>  * new subversion users do not expect that their password is stored
>    in readable format in the filesystem
>  * system administrators cannot be sure that their users don´t forget
>  * to disable password storing by executing:
>    ---
>    svn info && echo 'store-passwords = no' >> ~/.subversion/config
>    ---
>    => this is especially important if you use subversion on shared
>       accounts like "root" (for system administration purposes)
>  * it´s a good idea to make "more secure" settings to be default
>
> Therefore i think it is a good idea to disable password storing as
> default or to prompt the user for storing passwords.
>
> What do you think about this ?

This will be fixed in Subversion 1.6.  See

   http://svn.collab.net/viewvc/svn?view=rev&revision=31046

-Karl

Re: request : disable storeing of passwords as default

Posted by Jens Seidel <je...@users.sourceforge.net>.
On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 05:35:20PM +0200, Marc Schoechlin wrote:
> >From my point of view storing of passwords per default is not a good idea because:
>
>  * unix systems are often shared environments
>    (subversion cleartext passwords can be abused on other services
>    with the same passwords)
>  * new subversion users do not expect that their password is stored
>    in readable format in the filesystem

This is also true for experienced users such as me! I always used
svn+ssh connections (isn't this the best protocol?) but got recently
access to Subversions repository which uses http protocol. I committed
a minor change today and svn didn't asked me for my password. This really
confused me and I immediately deleted ~/.subversion/auth/svn.simple/*
where I found my password in cleartext!

>  * system administrators cannot be sure that their users don´t forget
>  * to disable password storing by executing:
>    ---
>    svn info && echo 'store-passwords = no' >> ~/.subversion/config

Thanks for this hint. Still wonder about the "svn info" ...

>    ---
>    => this is especially important if you use subversion on shared
>       accounts like "root" (for system administration purposes)
>  * it´s a good idea to make "more secure" settings to be default
>
> Therefore i think it is a good idea to disable password storing as
> default or to prompt the user for storing passwords.
>
> What do you think about this ?

I agree!

Jens