Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com> on 2017/04/08 13:07:01 UTC

Reproducible Builds

Hello,

I've been interested in reproducible builds for quite some time.

They promote trust and by being cacheable they are essential for shared
build systems like Google (https://bazel.build/ ) or Facebook use (
https://buckbuild.com/).

I'm tracking my progress here: https://nextbeans.com/reproducible

Basically, the NetBeans Platform is reproducible!

I have to polish the code and push it to a new repository.

Then I'll look into the full IDE (I assume the installer might have some
issues).

--emi

Re: Reproducible Builds

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@apache.org>.
I've pushed my work in progress to
https://github.com/emilianbold/reproducible-nextbeans

Since I can't (yet) build the installers I could not look into those.

db.sql.visualeditor still needs fixing because the ANTLR parser is not
deterministic. I was expecting this since I know they've been trying
to make ANTLR deterministic at Google a while back too. My solution
would be to also commit the generated parser and don't regenerate it
for each build.

There may be some other minor issues, but overall the whole IDE seems
to be reproducible.

Implementation dependencies seem really sticky if
OpenIDE-Module-Implementation-Version never changes automatically.

Clone the repository and try it with:

ant -Dreproducible=true

--emi

Re: Reproducible Builds