Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com> on 2003/03/02 13:48:43 UTC

Re: [Attributes] dependancy on Logging

Hi folks,

Can we consider one of two solutions for this _single_ use of commons
logging

1) Removal of the commons-logging from attributes?

2) Backwards compatible rework that will allow the application to run
without commons logging in the classpath (or classloader tree for
complex deployments).

Can I have some opinions here, or should I just dive in, make a change
and wait for the flak?

Regards,

- Paul

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Juozas,

>>Can we consider one of two solutions for this _single_ use of commons
>>logging
>>
>>1) Removal of the commons-logging from attributes?
>>
>>2) Backwards compatible rework that will allow the application to run
>>without commons logging in the classpath (or classloader tree for
>>complex deployments).
>>

>I undersatnd this single use is not pragmatic,  do you have problems with
>classloading in logging ?
>I have promissed to fix class loading in this component, it depends on
>ThreadContext classloader and
>it was a problem with this strategy in phoenix a year ago.
>logging works on phoenix at this time, does not it ?

My problem is simple, I do not want to have to distribute
commons-logging for because attributes depends on it. I do not want to
distribute it becuase it will never get called.  It is a compilation
dependency only.

- Paul

Re: [Attributes] dependancy on Logging

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Juozas,

>>Why does people get in to trouble when depending on ThreadContext
>>classloader which is
>>the correct way to load classes with (if one want to be container friendly
>>:)
>>
>>Depending on ThreadContext classloader will work if the container follows
>>the spec - and if there
>>are no TCL, then use class.forname - but remmeber to do it from a
>>method/class that is loaded
>>with your classes own classloader ....
>>
>>/max
>>

>I do not like this kind of workarounds too, but some containers heve
>problems with this, I do not have any problems
>myself, but there are a lot reports from users.
>Possible some users have problems to configure container and workarounds
>will not help.

You guys chat amongst yourselves if you like.

I don't want to use common logging for a _single_ (nearly-never-called)
warning.  That is my reason, and nothing to do with context-classloader.....

Regards,

 - Paul H

Re: [Attributes] dependancy on Logging

Posted by Juozas Baliuka <ba...@centras.lt>.