Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> on 2007/01/12 17:45:04 UTC

[VOTE] Release Maven 2.0.5

Hi,

The entire release is staged here:

http://people.apache.org/~jvanzyl/maven-2.0.5/

The assemblies that people are interested in are staged here:

http://people.apache.org/~jvanzyl/maven-2.0.5/org/apache/maven/maven-
core/2.0.5/

Here is the JIRA roadmap:

http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?
reset=true&&pid=10500&fixfor=12294&sorter/field=issuekey&sorter/
order=DESC

That's about it. Play around with it, if there are things wrong and
I'll fix stuff. We haven't released in so long there very well may be
some problems.

We should probably let it sit until Tuesday as most folks won't try
it out over the weekend.

+1

Thanks,

Jason.

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Fabrizio Giustina <fg...@apache.org>.
+1

tested on a few complex projects, no regressions found.
fabrizio

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Mike Perham <mp...@gmail.com>.
+1

Tested against our build and appears to work identically to 2.0.4.

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 12 Jan 07, at 3:57 PM 12 Jan 07, Jerome Lacoste wrote:

> On 1/12/07, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The entire release is staged here:
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/~jvanzyl/maven-2.0.5/
>>
>> The assemblies that people are interested in are staged here:
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/~jvanzyl/maven-2.0.5/org/apache/maven/maven-
>> core/2.0.5/
>>
>> Here is the JIRA roadmap:
>>
>> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?
>> reset=true&&pid=10500&fixfor=12294&sorter/field=issuekey&sorter/
>> order=DESC
>>
>> That's about it. Play around with it, if there are things wrong and
>> I'll fix stuff. We haven't released in so long there very well may be
>> some problems.
>>
>> We should probably let it sit until Tuesday as most folks won't try
>> it out over the weekend.

We're not in any particular rush.

Jason.

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Jerome Lacoste <je...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.
+1

Stéphane

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com>.

Looks better.   Change my (non-binding) vote to +1.  :-)

Thanks!
Dan

J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer
IONA
P: 781-902-8727    C: 508-380-7194
daniel.kulp@iona.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com>.
Well,  I hate to do this cause I REALLY would like to see 2.0.5 out, but...

-1, non-binding, but these are legal issues

Issues:
1) The NOTICE.TXT file in the root of the binary package only mentions Apache
stuff.   However, I see a jsch jar, jtidy jar, and xml-apis jar that
certainly are not apache.  Plexus is codehaus, etc...   Thus, the NOTICE file
definitely needs updating.

2) The scripts in bin have the old Apache copyright, not the new one.

Sorry.  :-(

Dan

On Friday 12 January 2007 11:45, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The entire release is staged here:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~jvanzyl/maven-2.0.5/
>
> The assemblies that people are interested in are staged here:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~jvanzyl/maven-2.0.5/org/apache/maven/maven-
> core/2.0.5/
>
> Here is the JIRA roadmap:
>
> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?
> reset=true&&pid=10500&fixfor=12294&sorter/field=issuekey&sorter/
> order=DESC
>
> That's about it. Play around with it, if there are things wrong and
> I'll fix stuff. We haven't released in so long there very well may be
> some problems.
>
> We should probably let it sit until Tuesday as most folks won't try
> it out over the weekend.
>
> +1
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jason.

J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer
IONA
P: 781-902-8727    C: 508-380-7194
daniel.kulp@iona.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.
+1. It works fine for me.

Emmanuel

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

+1 works fine for me

But I confirmed DOXIA-90 for 2.0.5. Is it a known issue on core?

Cheers,

Vincent

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Tom Huybrechts <to...@gmail.com>.
> 2) The repository copying only works using the file:/// when you're
> on the same machine due to a bug in Wagon.

It should also work for http if you have the latest wagon api  Did you
try that ?

Tom

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
On Jan 13, 2007, at 2:40 PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> 1) From the top-level directory the GPG plugin didn't sign the
> assembly. That's my fault and need to fix that.
> 2) The repository copying only works using the file:/// when you're
> on the same machine due to a bug in Wagon.
>
> Once those two things are ironed out and we publish the profile you
> should use then it will be ready for folks to try.
>
>> I would like to update the Geronimo
>> projects to use the new release support bits which have been added if
>> they are cooked enough.
>
> There will be another round of releases and I'm preparing to fire
> out a 2.1-alpha-1 shortly so I will go through the whole thing
> again. Then a 2.0.6 release within the next couple weeks and after
> that the tools should be in good shape.

Awesome :-)

I will keep an eye out, though if you think its ready to go can you
ping me or the Geronimo dev list with a heads up please?

  * * *

Are you guys still using the Continuum install on gbuild.org?

--jason

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 13 Jan 07, at 5:31 PM 13 Jan 07, Jason Dillon wrote:

> +1, the Geronimo server/trunk builds just fine with 2.0.5.  I will
> switch to this build and check out the other Geronimo project builds,
> but I would guess that this bin will work fine for those too.
>
> * * *
>
> Did you use the new plugins to support staging for this release?

Yes, I used them.

> Are
> those ready for prime time?

Almost. I ran into two problems:

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
+1, the Geronimo server/trunk builds just fine with 2.0.5.  I will
switch to this build and check out the other Geronimo project builds,
but I would guess that this bin will work fine for those too.

 * * *

Did you use the new plugins to support staging for this release?  Are
those ready for prime time?  I would like to update the Geronimo

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
On 1/16/07, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:

> On 15 Jan 07, at 8:56 AM 15 Jan 07, Max Bowsher wrote:
>
> > Kenney Westerhof wrote:
> >> tags cannot change, ever.
> >
> > The maven-2.0.5 tag already has been changed a bit since creation.
> >

> The only way we'll move toward having releases be perfect is to do
> lots of them.

I would like to discuss this more, I've started another thread to do so.

See http://www.nabble.com/The-process-for-tags%2C-release-candidates%2C-final-releases--tf3017795s177.html

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 15 Jan 07, at 8:56 AM 15 Jan 07, Max Bowsher wrote:

> Kenney Westerhof wrote:
>> tags cannot change, ever.
>
> The maven-2.0.5 tag already has been changed a bit since creation.

The only way we'll move toward having releases be perfect is to do
lots of them.

> The perpetual tension between burning publicly visible version
> numbers,
> and retaining unique identity of versions strikes again.
> Unfortunately,
> it's a problem without any obvious solution :-/ .

It's not a publicly visible, it's in a staging repository. A small
addition of a build number (revision number) to the distribution will
soon clearly separate versions.

We will get there very soon.

Jason.

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@mxtelecom.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Kenney Westerhof <ke...@apache.org>.

Dennis Lundberg wrote:
> Jason,
>
> Would you consider upgrading the dependency on modello-maven-plugin in
> maven-model to alpha-13 (or alpha-14 if that is released) for this
> release? It would bring in a couple of nice features for the generated
> documentation. If not, I'll add it to JIRA for 2.0.6.
>
> Also I found a couple of typos in maven.mdo that I fixed in trunk and
> the 2.0.x branch. Is it OK if I merge these into the 2.0.5 tag as well?

Hi,

tags cannot change, ever. In the best case a new release is cut, old tag
deleted, and a new one created. I think it depends on wheter the vote passes
if this could get into 2.0.5. The next release is planned pretty soon (1 to 2 weeks),
so I think it's best to schedule those two issues for 2.0.6.

-- Kenney

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 14 Jan 07, at 4:37 PM 14 Jan 07, Dennis Lundberg wrote:

> Jason,
>
> Would you consider upgrading the dependency on modello-maven-plugin
> in maven-model to alpha-13 (or alpha-14 if that is released) for
> this release? It would bring in a couple of nice features for the
> generated documentation. If not, I'll add it to JIRA for 2.0.6.
>
> Also I found a couple of typos in maven.mdo that I fixed in trunk
> and the 2.0.x branch. Is it OK if I merge these into the 2.0.5 tag
> as well?

Add them to 2.0.6, I would prefer not re-rolling it unless there is a
show stopper. We'll do a 2.0.6 pretty soon after this.

jason.

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Jason,

Jason van Zyl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The entire release is staged here:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~jvanzyl/maven-2.0.5/
>
> The assemblies that people are interested in are staged here:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~jvanzyl/maven-2.0.5/org/apache/maven/maven-core/2.0.5/
>

> Here is the JIRA roadmap:
>
> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&pid=10500&fixfor=12294&sorter/field=issuekey&sorter/order=DESC
>

> That's about it. Play around with it, if there are things wrong and I'll
> fix stuff. We haven't released in so long there very well may be some
> problems.
>
> We should probably let it sit until Tuesday as most folks won't try it
> out over the weekend.
>
> +1
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jason.

Dennis Lundberg

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
I revert the branch, apply the fix, redo the release and call for
another vote.

Fabrice can you please check again on your builds and make sure it's
not something with the checkstyle plugin.

Jason.

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Kenney Westerhof <ke...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Trygve Laugstøl <tr...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Trygve Laugstøl <tr...@apache.org>.
Jason van Zyl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The entire release is staged here:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~jvanzyl/maven-2.0.5/
>
> The assemblies that people are interested in are staged here:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~jvanzyl/maven-2.0.5/org/apache/maven/maven-core/2.0.5/
>

> Here is the JIRA roadmap:
>
> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&pid=10500&fixfor=12294&sorter/field=issuekey&sorter/order=DESC
>

> That's about it. Play around with it, if there are things wrong and I'll
> fix stuff. We haven't released in so long there very well may be some
> problems.
>
> We should probably let it sit until Tuesday as most folks won't try it
> out over the weekend.

I'm waiting until I've tried it out on my projects.

--
Trygve

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven 2.0.5

Posted by ja...@gmail.com.
This would be good... Many users are going to wonder if maven built assemblies are corrupt or not because of this.

If not for 2.0.5 maybe 2.0.6 can quickly follow with some of these little details cleaned up?

--jason

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
This is a bug in the assembly plugin (or more specifically, the
plexus-archiver).

- Brett

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Tomasz Pik <to...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Tomasz Pik <to...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Fabrice Bellingard <be...@gmail.com>.
On 1/15/07, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:

> I myself have intentionally stayed away from artifact resolution on
> the branch so do you have a test project I can use. I need to be able
> to reproduce your problem and turn it into some form of test. So I
> can see what's going on and so it doesn't regress again, if it is
> indeed a regression.

I managed to reproduce the problem on a very simple project. I will send you
the ZIP in a few minutes. In the archive, you will find a project that has 3
dependecies:
  A -> D v2.1
  B -> D v3
  C (has no transitive dependency to D)
In the project, I call a class that exists in D v3 but not in D v2.1. If you
launch "mvn clean compile" with M2.0.4, the build is successful, but not
with M2.0.5.
And the most surprising: if you remove dependency C, then both builds
break...

That doesn't sound good though 2.0.4 and 2.0.5 both use the same
> versions of classworlds and plexus so you're sure you have the same
> version of the checkstyle plugin there?

Yes, I saw that both Maven 2.0.4 and 2.0.5 use the same version of
classworlds, that's why I don't really know what to think about it. But I
checked the log: the same version of the Checkstyle plugin is used in both
cases.
I will send you the log so that you can check.

Fabrice.

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven 2.0.5

Posted by John Casey <ca...@gmail.com>.
IIRC, the order in which dependencies are declared effectively becomes the
tie-breaker when two dependency versions are declared at the same depth...so
if:

A -> B, C
B -> D (v2)
C -> D (v3)

and A declares the following:

<dependencies>
  <dependency>
    [...]
    <artifactId>B</artifactId>
  </dependency>
  <dependency>
    [...]
    <artifactId>C</artifactId>
  </dependency>
</dependencies>

then Maven should choose D (v2) because B is declared first in the POM.

As I recall, that's how the change should function.

-john

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Fabrice Bellingard <be...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jason,

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
What was the problem you found?

--jason

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Cool. We'll just need to tweak some fix for versions (simple bulk
edit for anything fixed in 2.0.6/2.0.x).

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven 2.0.5

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.