Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Gavin Baumanis <ga...@eclinic.com.au> on 2009/09/16 05:46:59 UTC

To Merge or copy a feature branch?

Hi Everyone,

I have created a branch for a new feature I am working on and am now
ready to merge my branch back to the trunk.
All files of the new work (But for a couple) are in a new sub directory.

Ie.
I have;
trunk/project1
branches/project1/feature1

I was thinking of simply copying the feature1 folder and all contents
into trunk/project1 (via svn copy) as opposed to doing a merge...
Is this a good practice? Or should I perform the needed task  via  a
merge operation?

As always - thanks for your thoughts.
Gavin.

Re: To Merge or copy a feature branch?

Posted by Jan Hendrik <li...@gmail.com>.
Concerning Re: To Merge or copy a feature bran
Les Mikesell wrote on 16 Sep 2009, 8:50, at least in part:

> I know the advice usually is to merge, but what if there have been
> enough changes in a branch that its history is really more
> representative than what is currently in trunk and its contents are
> what you want?  Is there anything conceptually or philosophically
> wrong with deleting the trunk and copying the branch back to replace
> it?

I suppose the major notion is that the history is not lost, it's just
not accessible as easily in a (deleted) branch as in the continuous
trunk.  For philiophical or ethical wrongs I would think it all depends
on how interesting or important history of either trunk or branch or
both or even in general is to the respective
user/team/company/project.

JH
---------------------------------------
Freedom quote:

     "Your friend Mr. Lincoln had his Taylors and Paines.
      So did every other man who ever tried to lift his thought up off the ground.
      Odds against them didn't stop those men, they were fools that way.
      All the good that ever came into this world came from fools with faith like that.
      You know that, Jeff. You can't quit now. Not you ...
      You didn't just have faith in Paine or any other living man.
      You had faith in something bigger than that.
      You had plain, decent, everyday common rightness.
      And this country could use some of that.
      Yeah, so could the whole cock-eyed world. A lot of it."
               -- Jean Arthur as Clarissa Saunders in
                  "Mr. Smith goes to Washington" by Frank Capra, 1939

Re: To Merge or copy a feature branch?

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com

Re: To Merge or copy a feature branch?

Posted by Gavin Baumanis <ga...@eclinic.com.au>.
Thanks Andy,

pretty simple and sensible really...
But it is just so much more easier to simply copy the files!
I assumed your reply was going go to be the case.... but thought I
would get some extra advice.
In the past I have only ever merged over a specific file at specific
revison.
Or perhaps a specific file over a few revisions.
And it was always from trunk into a release tag.

I've never actually merged an entire folder before back into the trunk.

Gavin,

On 16/09/2009, at 20:30 , Andy Levy wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 01:46, Gavin Baumanis
> <ga...@eclinic.com.au> wrote:
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> I have created a branch for a new feature I am working on and am now
>> ready to merge my branch back to the trunk.
>> All files of the new work (But for a couple) are in a new sub
>> directory.
>>
>> Ie.
>> I have;
>> trunk/project1
>> branches/project1/feature1
>>
>> I was thinking of simply copying the feature1 folder and all contents
>> into trunk/project1 (via svn copy) as opposed to doing a merge...
>> Is this a good practice? Or should I perform the needed task  via  a
>> merge operation?
>
> Do it as a merge. Otherwise anything that's happened in trunk will be
> lost (unless you've been merging trunk into the branch regularly). And
> either way, doing it as a merge will keep the history cleaner & more
> correct.

As always Please contact me if I can be of any further assistance.

Gavin "Beau" Baumanis
Senior Application Developer
PalCare P/L

657 Nicholson Street
Carlton North
Victoria, Australia, 3054

E: beau@palcare.com.au
P: +61 -3 9380 3513
M: +61 -438 545 586
W: http://www.palcare.com.au

Re: To Merge or copy a feature branch?

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gavin Baumanis <ga...@eclinic.com.au>.
Ahhh. I see...

You're correct Bob.. I have worded my original post incorrectly...
your assumption is correct.

branches/project1/feature1 is indeed going to;
trunk/project1/feature1

Gavin.

Posted by Bob Archer <bo...@amsi.com>.