Posted to user@drill.apache.org by nawfal osman <na...@corporate-groupe.com> on 2021/09/23 07:44:23 UTC

RE: Soucis Drill

Hi Support

Below the drill issues that we have
  1. Slowness issues when running two queries  the same time ( please find attached an  Example of querie)

Start of execution querie  20210815: 09: 26: 23 to 09: 33 ==> about 6min30s

Start of execution of the date   15 and 16 has been launched at the same time: 09:38 to 09:48 ==> 10 minutes of exécution

 2 - Sometimes we get the error (Unable to allocate buffer of size 134217728 due to memory limit (191739611). Current allocation: 78880768)

Can you please help up to troubleshoot theses issues.

Kind Regards
________________________________
Posted by James Turton <dz...@apache.org>.
I think you probably mean options like

planner.width.max_per_node
planner.width.max_per_query

in your last response, given you mention values of 3 and 28.

That aside, I can't see anything in the query profile you shared that
should be any obstacle for your cluster, or even for a single laptop.  I
would debug this by investigating memory allocation (including to
processes other than Drill) on the host machines, as well as swap
thrashing.  Note that a lot of this investigation is at the operating
system level, rather than in Drill.

Out of interest, you can also try copying the CSV files you're querying
here to your laptop, or some other idle machine, where you query them
with drill-embedded.  This last step would give you an answer to: "how
quickly can a small, unloaded, single node Drill complete this query?".
I expect less than 30 seconds, with time to write the results out being
a big part of that.

RE: Soucis Drill

Posted by nawfal osman <na...@corporate-groupe.com>.
Hi

[...]

mapr31    fileserver,mastgateway,nodemanager,drill-bits,collectd,hoststats,fluentd,hbaserest,nfs,apiserver                                                                                        10.148.0.70
mapr32    fileserver,mastgateway,nodemanager,drill-bits,collectd,hoststats,fluentd,hbaserest,nfs,apiserver                                                                                        10.148.0.71
mapr33    fileserver,mastgateway,nodemanager,drill-bits,collectd,hoststats,fluentd,hbaserest,nfs,apiserver                                                                                        10.148.0.72

Re: Soucis Drill

Posted by James Turton <dz...@apache.org>.
I do also see mapr15 reporting a *lot* of data in swap.  It looks like
the RAM on that box could be over allocated.  I haven't tested this but
I'm pretty sure it's going to be better to let Drill intentionally spill
when it thinks RAM is constrained than to tell it can have more RAM than
there is available and let it thrash the swap partition.  Swapping
during query processing could also be consistent with your point 1
(performance degradation when two queries are run) if the two queries
are competing for seeks from the storage device hosting the swap.  I
recommend running `smem -atk` to see which processes have been swapped
out and watching a monitoring tool that can show swapping counters like
major page faults per second during query execution.

Re: Soucis Drill

Posted by James Turton <dz...@apache.org>.

RE: Soucis Drill

Posted by James Turton <dz...@apache.org>.