Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Anthony Miggiani <af...@sympatico.ca> on 2015/01/01 18:48:20 UTC

Won't print

Dear OpenOffice staff,

Greetings from Toronto.

Just downloaded the free version of OpenOffice, with much gratitude.

Just using it for general text documents. Typed up a page in 3 columns of just text. But when tried to print, the resulting dialog box showed only FAX - doesn't seem to acknowledge my Canon mono printer anywhere. Is this because I need to purchase the full version, or is it something I need to learn more about? I'm a senior citizen and on a tight budget month to month. I was hoping I could print from this generously provided free software.

Please reply if you can.

Respectfully,

Tony Mig.

Re: Won't print

Posted by Jim McLaughlin <jj...@gmail.com>.
Tony -

There is no " version of Open Office to buy.

Open Office is freeware.

Don't ever pay any vendor for it.

OpenOffice is available for free and without a  lot of add on junk that
some unscrupolous folks package it with from the official OpenOffice site
at www.openoffice.org.  Going to that site and clicking on the various
download options will rake you to the official servers at the Apache
project (SourceForge) , and the safe download.

Like you, I'm a  senior on a  budget, and the Open Office stuff has been a
godsend.

Re: Won't print

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Thu, 1 Jan 2015 12:48:20 -0500
Anthony Miggiani <af...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Dear OpenOffice staff,
>
> Greetings from Toronto.
>
> Just downloaded the free version of OpenOffice, with much gratitude.
>
> Just using it for general text documents. Typed up a page in 3 columns of just text. But when tried to print, the resulting dialog box showed only FAX - doesn't seem to acknowledge my Canon mono printer anywhere. Is this because I need to purchase the full version, or is it something I need to learn more about? I'm a senior citizen and on a tight budget month to month. I was hoping I could print from this generously provided free software.
>
> Please reply if you can.
>
> Respectfully,
>
> Tony Mig.

We need to know the Operating System you are using (Windows, Mac etc, and version).

In the interim, a workaround is to /File /Export as PDF then print the PDF file from an installed PDF Reader.
--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Won't print

Posted by James Knott <ja...@rogers.com>.
On 01/01/2015 12:48 PM, Anthony Miggiani wrote:
> Dear OpenOffice staff,
>
> Greetings from Toronto.
>
> Just downloaded the free version of OpenOffice, with much gratitude.
>
> Just using it for general text documents. Typed up a page in 3 columns of just text. But when tried to print, the resulting dialog box showed only FAX - doesn't seem to acknowledge my Canon mono printer anywhere. Is this because I need to purchase the full version, or is it something I need to learn more about? I'm a senior citizen and on a tight budget month to month. I was hoping I could print from this generously provided free software.

Where did you download from?  You should only get it from
www.openoffice.org.  If you get it elsewhere, you might wind up paying
for something that's free.  You might also get a version that's loaded
with crapware or worse.  If you downloaded from elsewhere, you may want
to uninstall it before installing the proper version.

The only time you should pay is when you're buying a CD and, even then,
it should be only a nominal amount.