Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Tristan Miller <ps...@nothingisreal.com> on 2005/04/11 07:18:04 UTC

sa-learn causes fatal thrashing

Greetings.

I am running SpamAssassin 3.0.2 on SuSE 9.0.

Whenever I try to use sa-learn on a mailbox that contains large attachments
(say, greater than one or two megabytes), memory and swap usage max out
and my system comes to a grinding halt.  As in, completely unresponsive;
mouse and keyboard lock up and there's no way to save the system except by
powering off.  This often corrupts my Bayes database and I need to restore
it from a backup.

Does anyone else have this problem?  Is there some way of telling sa-learn
to skip messages over a certain size, as with spamc's -s option?

Regards,
Tristan

--
   _
  _V.-o  Tristan Miller [en,(fr,de,ia)]  ><  Space is limited

Re: sa-learn causes fatal thrashing

Posted by Tristan Miller <ps...@nothingisreal.com>.
Greetings.

On Monday 11 April 2005 13:38, Niek wrote:
> On 4/11/2005 9:31 AM +0100, Tristan Miller wrote:
> > I have 256 MB of RAM plus 243 MB of swap space.  Unfortunately,
> > upgrading RAM will not be a cheap fix as I am using a laptop with no
> > user-serviceable parts.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Tristan
>
> You could start spamd with only 1 child, to save some RAM.

I already do this.  But sa-learn doesn't depend on spamd anyway, does it?

Regards,
Tristan

--
   _

Posted by Niek <ni...@asbak.coding-slaves.com>.
On 4/11/2005 9:31 AM +0100, Tristan Miller wrote:
> I have 256 MB of RAM plus 243 MB of swap space.  Unfortunately, upgrading
> RAM will not be a cheap fix as I am using a laptop with no
> user-serviceable parts.
>
> Regards,
> Tristan

You could start spamd with only 1 child, to save some RAM.

Niek

Re: sa-learn causes fatal thrashing

Posted by Tristan Miller <ps...@nothingisreal.com>.
Greetings.

On Monday 11 April 2005 08:48, John Andersen wrote:
> Why should your system stop just because it has work to do?

Because it's thrashing.  Just about any computer using virtual memory will
grind to a halt if programs try to allocate more memory than is available.

Posted by John Andersen <js...@pen.homeip.net>.
On Sunday 10 April 2005 09:18 pm, Tristan Miller wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> I am running SpamAssassin 3.0.2 on SuSE 9.0.
>
> Whenever I try to use sa-learn on a mailbox that contains large attachments
> (say, greater than one or two megabytes), memory and swap usage max out
> and my system comes to a grinding halt.  As in, completely unresponsive;
> mouse and keyboard lock up and there's no way to save the system except by
> powering off.  This often corrupts my Bayes database and I need to restore
> it from a backup.
>
> Does anyone else have this problem?  Is there some way of telling sa-learn
> to skip messages over a certain size, as with spamc's -s option?
>
> Regards,
> Tristan

Why should your system stop just because it has work to do?
I get large attachments all the time with no lockup, even
if the machine gets busy it still works through it, and its
not a very powerful box.  (If I told you how whimpy it was
you'd laugh).

How much memory do you have?  Perhaps another stick
of ram is the cheap fix?
--
John Andersen