Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu> on 2006/11/21 16:43:18 UTC

Using JIRA to track which issues need to be fixed for version 2.1

I propose that we try to use JIRA for which issues need to get fixed
for which versions, rather than keeping a separate list on the Wiki
(http://cwiki.apache.org/UIMA/todo.html).

I entered version 2.1 into JIRA and assigned a bunch of issues to it
(all the ones listed on todo.html plus others I thought were
necessary).  This isn't meant to be an exhaustive list.

When creating a new issue you can assign a "Fix Version" of 2.1 if you
think this needs to be fixed prior to release.

I also propose (again) that we not create JIRA issues that are "wish
lists" comprised of many different issues.  For example the "Tool wish
list" issue had a subitem "migration tools" that I wanted to add to
version 2.1.  So I had to create a separate issue for it and then
delete it from the tool wish list.  I think this would be better if
these were entered as separate issues to begin with.  Or, for items
that are just general ideas for things to work on, rather than
specific issues to be addressed, use the Wiki instead of JIRA.  But
pick one, try not to put the same thing in two places.

-Adam

Re: Using JIRA to track which issues need to be fixed for version 2.1

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Adam Lally wrote:
> I propose that we try to use JIRA for which issues need to get fixed
> for which versions, rather than keeping a separate list on the Wiki
> (http://cwiki.apache.org/UIMA/todo.html).
OK.  I agree we need to have data in one place, rather than multiple places,
for maintainability.

I've seen some other projects create the summary lists (what I was doing
by hand), using Jira's ability
to export information in xml format and writing something that would
prepare
summary reports for web pages, etc.  That would be nice to have...
> for items
> that are just general ideas for things to work on, rather than
> specific issues to be addressed, use the Wiki instead of JIRA.  But
> pick one, try not to put the same thing in two places.
I agree - put things in one place.  Usually Jira...

-Marshall

Re: Using JIRA to track which issues need to be fixed for version 2.1

Posted by Michael Baessler <mb...@michael-baessler.de>.
Adam Lally wrote:
> I propose that we try to use JIRA for which issues need to get fixed
> for which versions, rather than keeping a separate list on the Wiki
> (http://cwiki.apache.org/UIMA/todo.html).
> I entered version 2.1 into JIRA and assigned a bunch of issues to it
> (all the ones listed on todo.html plus others I thought were
> necessary).  This isn't meant to be an exhaustive list.
>
> When creating a new issue you can assign a "Fix Version" of 2.1 if you
> think this needs to be fixed prior to release.
>
> I also propose (again) that we not create JIRA issues that are "wish
> lists" comprised of many different issues.  For example the "Tool wish
> list" issue had a subitem "migration tools" that I wanted to add to
> version 2.1.  So I had to create a separate issue for it and then
> delete it from the tool wish list.  I think this would be better if
> these were entered as separate issues to begin with.  Or, for items
> that are just general ideas for things to work on, rather than
> specific issues to be addressed, use the Wiki instead of JIRA.  But
> pick one, try not to put the same thing in two places.

I absolutely agree with you. I share your opinion that items on the todo
list should
show other users/developers what we had in mind for the next moths that
they will be able to discuss things
and directions with us early.

-- Michael