Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Leo Simons <ls...@jicarilla.org> on 2004/04/08 17:52:23 UTC

[status] me and gump

In case you've been wondering why I've been my uncharacteristic quiet
self, its mainly because I've got 253 unread messages in general@gump,
and about 500 more elsewhere. Once you fail to keep up reading on mail,
it becomes more and more difficult :-D

anyway, I trust people will add issues to jira and assign 'em to me if
there's something to be done (yes, I know of the JVM thing :-D). In the
meantime, I'm learning bits of python and figuring out how to build a

    secure-python-web-application-edit-interface-to--commit-activity

(aka Spywaeitoca, usually pronounced "spfalskjlkejasdaew")

bridge to enable further "baby stepping" from our current practice of
committing metadata changes via cvs to making it possible via a web
application. And I'm doing that test-first, which is rather more
difficult in python :-D

I'm also making some waves in other areas ;)

--
cheers,

- Leo Simons

Component Community -- http://componentplanet.org/
Component Glue      -- http://jicarilla.org/

Re: [status] me and gump

Posted by Leo Simons <ls...@jicarilla.org>.
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:
>>    secure-python-web-application-edit-interface-to--commit-activity
>>
> Please keep us in the loop on all you learn, via postings and/or your blog,

well, one thing I figured out already is that moin is easily abused for
editing config files:

   http://lsd.student.utwente.nl/componentplanet/ComponentBlogConfigFile

> and especially Pythonic issues.

I was looking at how subwiki [1] interacts with the svn binding for
python [2], which is through something called swig [3]. SubWiki is a
nice little bit of code, easy to read :-D

It seems svn is easier to interact with, a lot of work for doing it
already done. The same cannot be said for CVS, though ViewCVS is written
in python and has some work done:

   http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/viewcvs/viewcvs/lib/vclib/

Re: status blogging

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
> yeah, sams weblog package and ViewSVN :-D. Zope is something I totally
> don't understand on looking a little closer, for example. I mean,
> there's a ***class*** named Interface! I am a big turd when it comes to
> python. I can write like 3 lines of code in one go and then things start
> breaking.

Yeah, it takes a while to get into, doesn't it. Replacing Java thinking for
Pythonic is hard, and I know I've not acheived it (in any sense) yet.
Running pychecker on Gump shows that for a fact... ;-)

> I would just love to see how Sam sets this up.

I think you already did. ;-) Lean and mean. :-)

regards,

Adam

Re: status blogging

Posted by Leo Simons <ls...@jicarilla.org>.
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:
> I know Leo has found some ways to build WWW applications in Python that he
> is interested in.

yeah, sams weblog package and ViewSVN :-D. Zope is something I totally
don't understand on looking a little closer, for example. I mean,
there's a ***class*** named Interface! I am a big turd when it comes to
python. I can write like 3 lines of code in one go and then things start
breaking.

I would just love to see how Sam sets this up.

>>and agree to not worry
>>about Windows initially

windows? What is windows?

>>and get a clean CSS-based skin for gump pages,
>
> I assume (hope) we are NOT talking a forrest skin, just a simple look in
> HTML, right? I agree that would be something welcomed. Keeping it simple is
> key. Heck, I'd hapily start with an 'ugly look', rather than fight the
> weight of Forrest, etc. and it's impacts on users.
>
> [ I now see (from feedback) that we *need* Gump to have a cheap/easy
> alternative to Forrest, so that Forrest (which I am determined to keep going
> with for a while) doesn't bring Gump down with it's issues. I just wish it
> were quick/easy, and I'm finding it hard to get motivated for (it is more
> fun to play with SVGs). I guess I just need to be patient here, and plod
> along making progress.]

I like darwinism. Didn't someone volunteer to setup forrest as a webapp?
Not that that worked well for me before, but I don't see why it cannot
be tried or even mixed with python stoof.

Re: status blogging

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
> Anything you can do from python can be done via CGI.  Anything.

Ahhh, reminds me of CGI.pm (and oh the fun I used to have with that :-). I
hear you. Hey, I won't -1 any webapp contribution, CGI, framework or
otherwise. I think there is Gump Gold in that direction, and feel that any
step there is worthy...

regards,

Adam

Re: status blogging

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

>>Beyond those two the next biggest hurdle is the markup that is produced.
>>  If that is relatively straightforward (in other words, uses techniques
>>like CSS instead of things like spacer gifs and nested tables), then
>>building CGIs is downright trivial.
>
> I know Leo has found some ways to build WWW applications in Python that he
> is interested in. I would hope his efforts, and these, could share at some
> level. Perhaps share a Python webapp framework (if one is picked), but there
> is no real need for this to be the case since you are talking simple CGIs.
> [When you say CGI I'm reading good old fashioned "common gateway interface",
> right?] I guess sharing could just be a WWW server (with auth) and a simple
> webapp space/look-and-feel.

Framework?  We don't need to steenken framework.  Take a peek at:

http://brutus.apache.org/gump/public/test.cgi?foo=bar

Anything you can do from python can be done via CGI.  Anything.

Below is the source.  Note output is declared as text/plain, but
text/html, or even application/atom+xml are possible.

I did say "downright trivial".

- Sam Ruby

#!/usr/bin/python
print "Content-Type: text/plain\r\n\r\n";

import cgi, os, sys
print sys.stdin.readline()

fs = cgi.FieldStorage()
print 'type\t',fs.type
print 'headers\t',fs.headers
print 'path\t',os.path.realpath('.')

print
for arg in fs.list:
   print arg.name, arg.value

print
for (key,value) in  os.environ.items():
   print key, value.strip()

Re: status blogging

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
> Starting long running tasks is made possible by platforms that support
> fork (sorry Windows).

None of our current public servers are on Windows, and I am sure we can live
without this feature on that platform.

> Beyond those two the next biggest hurdle is the markup that is produced.
>   If that is relatively straightforward (in other words, uses techniques
> like CSS instead of things like spacer gifs and nested tables), then
> building CGIs is downright trivial.

I know Leo has found some ways to build WWW applications in Python that he
is interested in. I would hope his efforts, and these, could share at some
level. Perhaps share a Python webapp framework (if one is picked), but there
is no real need for this to be the case since you are talking simple CGIs.
[When you say CGI I'm reading good old fashioned "common gateway interface",
right?] I guess sharing could just be a WWW server (with auth) and a simple
webapp space/look-and-feel.

> If we can settle on an authentication mechanism,

It is funny how we are a product of our current influences. I was going to
suggest following SVNs lead also. Funny how that sounds a lot better than
simply saying use HTTP Authentication. ;-) Still, it seems to 'work' for
infra, that they are game to take it on with SVN, so why not?

> and agree to not worry
> about Windows initially,

I'm +1

> and get a clean CSS-based skin for gump pages,

I assume (hope) we are NOT talking a forrest skin, just a simple look in
HTML, right? I agree that would be something welcomed. Keeping it simple is
key. Heck, I'd hapily start with an 'ugly look', rather than fight the
weight of Forrest, etc. and it's impacts on users.

[ I now see (from feedback) that we *need* Gump to have a cheap/easy
alternative to Forrest, so that Forrest (which I am determined to keep going
with for a while) doesn't bring Gump down with it's issues. I just wish it
were quick/easy, and I'm finding it hard to get motivated for (it is more
fun to play with SVGs). I guess I just need to be patient here, and plod
along making progress.]

> I can start picking off tasks from Adam's original list.

Awesome. Now I just need to remember which list this was, to see how happy I
get. ;-)

regards,

Adam

Re: status blogging

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:

> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>
>> Adam R. B. Jack wrote:
>>
>>> 4) The 'root cause/resolution' for outage X/Y (between too parties)
>>> was Z.
>>> Log it/Blog it...
>>
>> ++1
>>
>> If this was available I would definitely use it to post details about
>> what is going on relative to the projects I'm associated with.
>> Furthermore - it would provide an extra hint that there is someone
>> somewhere dealing with a problem as opposed to waiting n days for a
>> change in status - which is something I would find really valuable in
>> terms of projects I'm dependent on.
>
> you know, we do have one of the authorities on blogging and syndication
> right here as a resident gump meister. Someone who happens to know
> python rather well to boot. And someone who's itching to write code
> according to his blog.......

The hardest thing is authentication (something that the peas&carrots
blog sidesteps nicely via CVS).

Starting long running tasks is made possible by platforms that support
fork (sorry Windows).

Beyond those two the next biggest hurdle is the markup that is produced.
  If that is relatively straightforward (in other words, uses techniques
like CSS instead of things like spacer gifs and nested tables), then
building CGIs is downright trivial.

If we can settle on an authentication mechanism, and agree to not worry
about Windows initially, and get a clean CSS-based skin for gump pages,

status blogging (was: Re: [status] me and gump)

Posted by Leo Simons <ls...@jicarilla.org>.

blog Re: [status] me and gump

Posted by Nick Chalko <ni...@chalko.com>.
Stephen McConnell wrote:

> Adam R. B. Jack wrote:
>
>> 4) The 'root cause/resolution' for outage X/Y (between too parties)
>> was Z.
>> Log it/Blog it...
>

> ++1
>
> If this was available I would definitely use it to post details about
> what is going on relative to the projects I'm associated with.
> Furthermore - it would provide an extra hint that there is someone
> somewhere dealing with a problem as opposed to waiting n days for a
> change in status - which is something I would find really valuable in
> terms of projects I'm dependent on.

Gump has a blog called Peas and Carrots at
http://gump.chalko.com/gb/blog/

Any one can add post by committing a file to CVS.  at gump/blog/
Copy the file
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/gump/blog/Template.txt?view=markup
and edit as needed.

R,
Nick

Re: [status] me and gump

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:
> 4) The 'root cause/resolution' for outage X/Y (between too parties) was Z.
> Log it/Blog it...

++1

If this was available I would definitely use it to post details about
what is going on relative to the projects I'm associated with.
Furthermore - it would provide an extra hint that there is someone
somewhere dealing with a problem as opposed to waiting n days for a
change in status - which is something I would find really valuable in
terms of projects I'm dependent on.

Cheers, Steve.

Re: [status] me and gump

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
> anyway, I trust people will add issues to jira and assign 'em to me if
> there's something to be done (yes, I know of the JVM thing :-D). In the
> meantime, I'm learning bits of python and figuring out how to build a
>
>     secure-python-web-application-edit-interface-to--commit-activity
>
> (aka Spywaeitoca, usually pronounced "spfalskjlkejasdaew")
>
> bridge to enable further "baby stepping" from our current practice of
> committing metadata changes via cvs to making it possible via a web
> application. And I'm doing that test-first, which is rather more
> difficult in python :-D

This is awesome. I am really eager to see us have a Python web front end to
Gump. There are lots and lots of things I'd like to see done [eventually]
such as:

1) Please wipe the CVS repository for this module, next run [to get fresh].
2) Please read this descriptor (via CVS|SVN or http) and validate/describe
what you see.
3) Please reset the stats for module/project (based on X = valid reason)
4) The 'root cause/resolution' for outage X/Y (between too parties) was Z.
Log it/Blog it...

.. and such interactive usage. Yum, looking forward to what you provide as a
foundation for this area. :-)

Please keep us in the loop on all you learn, via postings and/or your blog,
and especially Pythonic issues. I think we all (save Sam) needs to learn
through other's challenges.

regards,

Adam