Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2003/09/08 20:00:50 UTC

Updating Avalon jars

> The cornerstone suite of components were released a couple of days ago.
> James CVS is already updated.  A vote on the release plan for Merlin is
> also underway.

Stephen, unless Merlin has been updated so that it supports our
configuration as-is, I don't think we want to adopt it.  You've said that
the primary thing missing is that Merlin cannot handle our logging
configuration.

	--- Noel

Re: Updating Avalon jars

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>>The cornerstone suite of components were released a couple of days ago.
>>James CVS is already updated.  A vote on the release plan for Merlin is
>>also underway.
>>

>Stephen, unless Merlin has been updated so that it supports our
>configuration as-is, I don't think we want to adopt it.

Can you provide a little more detail as to what you mean by
"configuration as-is"?

James configuration data does not change however there is a semantic
difference in the role that James plays when deployed under Merlin.
Basically James is deployed as a composite component which means that
james could appear anywhere in a larger componet model.  The up-side of
this is that james can be used as a service by other components just as
cornerstone components are used by james.  The impact of this on
configuration is that confiuration information has to be directed to the
location at which james is deployed.

>You've said that
>the primary thing missing is that Merlin cannot handle our logging
>configuration.

The logging configuration that james uses is the excalibur logging
system.  This is not supported in Merlin at this time simply because
there are other priorities that are grabbing attention (but patches are
always welcome).

Currently the james cvs and build is somewhat hard-wired to a Phoenix
deployment - this could be changed such that you build james (the core
system) and then you build the deployment solution.  For example, I
build james using the jar target, then take the generated jar files and
deploy them under Merlin using the appropriate configuration and
deployment descriptors used by Merlin. It seems to me that with a little
refactoring of things in the structure of the james build that you could
provide independence from the deployment environment.  I.e. it should be
possible to build the core james and then deploy in the container of choice.

Steve.

>	--- Noel

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org