Posted to user@poi.apache.org by "Au-Yeung, Stella H" <st...@eds.com> on 2003/11/19 18:26:53 UTC

Four general questions

Hi:
I am new to POI-HSSF.  I have four questions hope someone can help me with
them:

1) From the POI web site, I can't find the timeline for POI-HSSF Release 2
(which has the support of generating Excel charts).  So exactly when is the
expected release date for version 2?
2) According to the web site, Release 2 will allow for generation of Excel
bar charts.   Can it generate Excel pie charts?
3) HSSF supports Excel '97(-2002) file format.   What about Office 2003
Excel file format?
4) What is the average performance of generating Excel spreadsheets using
POI-HSSF?   Slow? Medium? Fast?

Thanks for any help!

Stella Auyeung
EDS
Solutions Consulting, Midwest Business Acceleration Services
Phone: 989-497-5766 (8-399)

Re: Four general questions

Posted by av...@itellix.com.

Quoting "Au-Yeung, Stella H" <st...@eds.com>:

> Hi:
> I am new to POI-HSSF.  I have four questions hope someone can help me with
> them:
>
> 1) From the POI web site, I can't find the timeline for POI-HSSF Release 2
> (which has the support of generating Excel charts).  So exactly when is the
> expected release date for version 2?
We expect 2.0 final to be released in few weeks time. However, with open source
project, there cannot be any guarantees.  In the meantime, 2.0RC1 is very
stable.. you should use that.
> 2) According to the web site, Release 2 will allow for generation of Excel
> bar charts.   Can it generate Excel pie charts?
I am at this moment updating the documentation. 2.0 will NOT have support for
charts. It was originally planned, but its a hard problem, and we did not have
enuf people contributing to make that happen.

> 3) HSSF supports Excel '97(-2002) file format.   What about Office 2003
> Excel file format?
If you mean the new XML format ... no. But 2003 by default saves in the 97-2002
format.. which is actually known as BIFF8.

> 4) What is the average performance of generating Excel spreadsheets using
> POI-HSSF?   Slow? Medium? Fast?
Fast. But it does take a lot of memory for large files.