Posted to user@bigtop.apache.org by Swathi V <sw...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/24 19:52:48 UTC

Error while stopping Hadoop Services

Hi,
I'm new to this project.
I had an issue while stopping the hadoop services after the start. The
cluster was up and running. But, when I was about to stop the services i
got few errors like this.

hadoop@localhost:/usr/lib/hadoop/conf$ for i in hadoop-namenode
> hadoop-datanode hadoop-jobtracker hadoop-tasktracker ; do sudo service $i
> stop ; done
> Stopping Hadoop namenode daemon: stopping namenode
> ERROR. Could not stop Hadoop namenode daemon
> Stopping Hadoop datanode daemon: stopping datanode
> hadoop-datanode.
> Stopping Hadoop jobtracker daemon: stopping jobtracker
> ERROR. Could not stop Hadoop jobtracker daemon
> Stopping Hadoop tasktracker daemon: stopping tasktracker
> ERROR. Could not stop Hadoop tasktracker daemon
> hadoop@localhost:/usr/lib/hadoop/conf$ for i in hadoop-namenode
> hadoop-datanode hadoop-jobtracker hadoop-tasktracker ; do sudo service $i
> stop ; done
> Stopping Hadoop namenode daemon: no namenode to stop
> hadoop-namenode.
> Stopping Hadoop datanode daemon: no datanode to stop
> hadoop-datanode.
> Stopping Hadoop jobtracker daemon: no jobtracker to stop
> hadoop-jobtracker.
> Stopping Hadoop tasktracker daemon: no tasktracker to stop
> hadoop-tasktracker.
> hadoop@localhost:/usr/lib/hadoop/conf$ for i in hadoop-namenode
> hadoop-datanode hadoop-jobtracker hadoop-tasktracker ; do sudo service $i
> start ; done
> Starting Hadoop namenode daemon: starting namenode, logging to
> /var/log/hadoop/hadoop-hadoop-namenode-localhost.out
> hadoop-namenode.
> Starting Hadoop datanode daemon: starting datanode, logging to
> /var/log/hadoop/hadoop-hadoop-datanode-localhost.out
> hadoop-datanode.
> Starting Hadoop jobtracker daemon: starting jobtracker, logging to
> /var/log/hadoop/hadoop-hadoop-jobtracker-localhost.out
> hadoop-jobtracker.
> Starting Hadoop tasktracker daemon: starting tasktracker, logging to
> /var/log/hadoop/hadoop-hadoop-tasktracker-localhost.out
> hadoop-tasktracker.

Am I doing something wrong here? Why was script not able to stop any of the
services?
Why in the next repeated command it could not find the namenode etc. ?
[Meaning, had it already stopped?]
How could the start command again work fine?
Can Someone let me know what mistakes I'm doing or what might be the issue
or why the error?
Thank You Very Much!

- Regards,
Swathi.V. ,
Software Developer
Blog URL :http://femgeekz.blogspot.in

Re: Error while stopping Hadoop Services

Posted by Swathi V <sw...@gmail.com>.
Hi Roman,
Thanks for your input.
Also, I'll test the new release :)
Thank you :)

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
Hi

Posted by Swathi V <sw...@gmail.com>.
Hi ,

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 4:37 AM, Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi and welcome to Bigtop!
>
> On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 10:52 AM, Swathi V <sw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I'm new to this project.
> > I had an issue while stopping the hadoop services after the start. The
> > cluster was up and running. But, when I was about to stop the services i
> got
> > few errors like this.
>
> What version of Bigtop are you running and on what OS? How did you install
> it?
> Finally, can you still reproduce it?

Version: Bigtop-0.3.0
OS: ubuntu 11.04
Installation: from the repo file
http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/bigtop/bigtop-0.3.0-incubating/repos/ubuntu/bigtop.list
and
GPG-Key from
http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/bigtop/bigtop-0.3.0-incubating/repos/GPG-KEY-bigtop

> > Am I doing something wrong here? Why was script not able to stop any of
> the
> > services?
> > Why in the next repeated command it could not find the namenode etc. ?
> > [Meaning, had it already stopped?]
> > How could the start command again work fine?
> > Can Someone let me know what mistakes I'm doing or what might be the
> issue
> > or why the error?
>
> I don't think you're doing anything wrong per se. A lot of times what
> would happen
> though is this: you would try to start a component (namenode, datanode,
> etc.)
> and the JVM would start up, etc so that service scripts would exit
> successfully.
> Then a bit of time passes and the component discovers that it is not happy
> about something and exists. At that point even though you've started it you
> no longer have it running and your best option is to sleuth through the log
> files down at /var/log/<component name> and try to figure out what went
> wrong.

Thank you very much for your response. I'll look into that! :)

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
Hi and welcome to Bigtop!