Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Jason E Bailey <je...@apache.org> on 2018/04/19 19:24:59 UTC

any issues with moving bundles to java 8

Is there any reason to hold back right now? Can we change the parent so that Java 8 is the default?

- Jason

Re: any issues with moving bundles to java 8

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 11:54 AM, Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...IOW - it's safer to set sling.java.version per-module rather than in
> the parent pom...

+1, I think we shouldn't switch "just because" but if there are good
reasons, which do not to be huge things, I'm all for it.

-Bertrand

Re: any issues with moving bundles to java 8

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 2018-04-20 at 08:08 +0000, Stefan Seifert wrote:
> from my side we could switch to java 8 right away for new releases!
> but we have to hear other opinions from the community and probably do
> a formal vote for it.

I think we can start moving bundles to Java 8 on-demand, when the need
comes - e.g. new APIs like in the content loader scenario.

IOW - it's safer to set sling.java.version per-module rather than in
the parent pom.

Robert

RE: any issues with moving bundles to java 8

Posted by Stefan Seifert <ss...@pro-vision.de>.
from my side we could switch to java 8 right away for new releases!
but we have to hear other opinions from the community and probably do a formal vote for it.

i hoped we were already ready for java 8 last year and started the context-aware configuration implementation in java 8 - but then we decided to backport it to java 7. but perhaps now is the time for a step forward.

stefan