Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by vinsor <vi...@gmail.com> on 2011/03/29 05:10:26 UTC

Finding Execution Time of Map Reduce

Hi,
As part of my under graduate project work. I want to find the execution time
of a sample map reduce code. Like say the amt of time the word count example
takes to complete the mapping and reducing. For this I just wanted to know
where exactly I can insert the code to find the time.

I currently use the following function to find the time.
System.currentTimeMillis();.
I thought we could have one variable before calling the function and another
just before the program exits.
But the problem is I am not able to compile the source code of hadoop found
in src/ directory.

I wanted to know how can we modify the code of word count example, how to
compile and execute?

Thanks,
Vinay