Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by brian janaszek <bm...@anklebiter.net> on 2003/04/04 17:17:52 UTC

Tomcat 4.1/Linux/JavaMail Issue

Hello--

I've run into a bit of a frustrating issue with Tomcat 4.1 running on
Mandrake 9.0.  I've got a web application that parses some user input
(via HTML form), then sends an email message with some of the user input
in the body, and a PDF file that is generated attached.  The code
compiles and runs without exception.  I've got JavaMail debug messages
turned on, and here's a snippet:

<snip>
Generating email
DEBUG: setDebug: JavaMail version 1.3
MimeMultipart created
Message body created
Message body text set
Message body added to MimeMultipart
Got PDF file
DEBUG: getProvider() returning
javax.mail.Provider[TRANSPORT,smtp,com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport,Sun
Microsystems, Inc]
Calling connect()
DEBUG SMTP: useEhlo true, useAuth false

DEBUG: SMTPTransport trying to connect to host "mail.raederlandree.com",
port 25

DEBUG SMTP RCVD: 220 DELLPOWEREDGE.raederlandree.com ESMTP Server
(Microsoft Exchange Internet Mail Service 5.5.2653.13) ready

DEBUG: SMTPTransport connected to host "mail.raederlandree.com", port:
25
</snip>

Once the connection to the SMTP server is established, nothing more
happens.  No errors, but the process just sits there.  It doesn't cause
Tomcat to die either, as I can stop the browser and make another request
(with the same result).

Now, here's the interesting bit.  I've got Tomcat 4.1 running on a
Windows 2000 laptop (for client demos), and the same code (the same WAR
file, compiled on the linux box) works.  The connection is established
to the SMTP server, and the message is sent successfully.

What gives?

I've moved around the JavaMail libraries (originally they were in
mywebapp/WEB-INF/lib, and I removed the JavaMail libraries from
$TOMCAT_HOME/common/lib.  Then I reversed it, moving the libraries from
WEB-INF/lib to common/lib.  Same result.

Any ideas?

TIA
brian

Re: Tomcat 4.1/Linux/JavaMail Issue

Posted by brian janaszek <bm...@anklebiter.net>.
On Fri, 2003-04-04 at 10:22, xyber wrote:
> you need JaF (Java Activation Framewrok aka activation.jar). put to the
> lib, and your app get working

Oh, sorry.  activation.jar is in there too, following around the other JavaMail libraries...

Thanks

Posted by xyber <xy...@bp.geoview.hu>.