Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by faizul sulaiman <mo...@yahoo.ca> on 2006/11/22 07:02:30 UTC

Tomcat hang and port in used problem

I'm using Tomcat 5.5.15 to deploy a web services using Apache Axis. The problem that I am facing is that sometimes (with unknown reason)  the tomcat hang and all services also down. When I try to restart the server, it come out with "port 80 is in used..." message and I have to kill the process before restarting again.
However, this is not good solution because I need to monitor when the server is down and if I handover the application to the client, they must know how to kill a process and restart the tomcat.

Therefore, I need some comments or better solutions on solving this problem or at least what cause this problem.

Mohd Faizul Sulaiman
http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Tomcat hang and port in used problem

Posted by Gaurav Kushwaha <ga...@gmail.com>.
The reason might be that your threads are getting blocked and are not
returning to Tomcat's thread pool. In that case, since tomcat doesn't have
any worker thread left to cater to requests, it would seem that it has hung.
Also, when you try to terminate tomcat normally (using shutdown.sh), Tomcat
first waits for all the worker threads to return to pool before killing the
process. If that doesn't happen, shutdown.sh script will return but java
process will still be running.

On 11/22/06, faizul sulaiman <mo...@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> I'm using Tomcat 5.5.15 to deploy a web services using Apache Axis. The
> problem that I am facing is that sometimes (with unknown reason)  the tomcat
> hang and all services also down. When I try to restart the server, it come
> out with "port 80 is in used..." message and I have to kill the process
> before restarting again.
> However, this is not good solution because I need to monitor when the
> server is down and if I handover the application to the client, they must
> know how to kill a process and restart the tomcat.
>
> Therefore, I need some comments or better solutions on solving this
> problem or at least what cause this problem.

> Mohd Faizul Sulaiman

Gaurav Singh Kushwaha
http://www.chakpak.com

Ph: +91-9880101496