Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Richard Reyes <ri...@voxsant.com> on 2007/12/22 15:07:34 UTC

Enhancing Tomcat Speed

Hi All,

Please send suggestions on how to improve the tomcat performance.

Thanks in advance.
Richard

Re: Enhancing Tomcat Speed

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Enhancing Tomcat Speed

Posted by Alan Chaney <al...@compulsivecreative.com>.
Hi Richard

Please could you help by giving us some more information:

1. Which version of tomcat?
2. What O/S?
3. What kind of application? Does it read information from a database -
if so, which one?
4. Is it proprietary or did you write it yourself?
5. What is your current performance and by how much do you want to
improve it?

I  think it would help if you were more clear as to what aspect of
performance you wanted to improve:

1. Page loading time (ie from the browser GET to when the page is fully
rendered) ("response time")
2. Page throughput - the number of visits a second your server can
handle before response time lengthens.

The 'loading of the webapp' you mention below could refer to the time
taken to do the initial classloading - is that your problem? But then
why talk about reducing image size?

There is rarely a magic bullet to fixing performance problems in complex
systems and a webapp is a complex system.

Regards

Alan Chaney

Re: AW: Enhancing Tomcat Speed

Posted by Rakesh Rajan <ra...@gmail.com>.
Read about memcached <http://www.danga.com/memcached/> in case you have more
than one webnode.

-Rakesh

Posted by Pid <p...@pidster.com>.

Posted by "Richard G. Reyes" <ri...@voxsant.com>.
Hi Pid, All,

Posted by Pid <p...@pidster.com>.
Richard Reyes wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> - Version: 5.5 but would upgrading to 6 be wise?
> - OS: Cent OS
> - Kind of App: Webapp with MySQL DB. Have you guys heard of Appfuse.
> - We created it using Spring and Webwork
> - I'm comparing my current performance to the performance when its
> deployed only on my devt desktop because it is so much slower now
> thinking the that it has a good upstream bandwidth allocation and a
> decent box to run on (dual core xenon and 4g ram).
> - I definitely would like to improve page loading time and page throughput.

Appfuse and Spring and Webwork?
I'm not completely familiar with them all, but I'd have thought you'd
get away with using just one framework.

Java6 & Tomcat6 are faster together, in my experience, than lower
version number combos.  Having said that, it's most likely that you will
improve your app, rather than Tomcat.

There are other easy gains that can be made depending on how you've
coded your app.  If, for example, you're not using a database connection
pool, it can be improved considerably by doing so.

You won't gain performance in terms of raw speed by tuning the jvm
memory parameters, but you will decrease the chance of OOMs and lengthy
gc pauses.  4Gb of RAM is no use until you've set it (sensibly).

You should consider profiling your app (google is your friend), or
adding some simple logging to see where the delays are arising.

Posted by Richard Reyes <ri...@voxsant.com>.
Hi All,

Posted by Alan Chaney <al...@compulsivecreative.com>.

AW: Enhancing Tomcat Speed

Posted by Schadler Johann <ao...@aon.at>.

Problem in Tomcat 5.5 Server

Posted by "Richard G. Reyes" <ri...@voxsant.com>.
Hi Guys,

We have setup 3 tomcat server for 1 domain name using DNS Round-robin.
Our problem is sometimes the tomcat servers are not responding, we are
monitoring the bandwidth and cpu usage and its not high during those
slow response times. Hope you guys have any ideas on this...

Tia!
Richard

Re: Enhancing Tomcat Speed

Posted by Richard Reyes <ri...@voxsant.com>.