Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Marcus Crafter <cr...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net> on 2002/03/13 15:05:44 UTC

altprofile package.html (was Re: New AltProfile package)

Hi Peter,

	No problem. Attached is a packages.html. The altprofile package
	is about to be moved and renamed, I'll update the packages.html
	again after it's relocation.

	Cheers,

	Marcus

	PS. Leif, please feel free to add anything I've missed.

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 09:21:44AM +1100, Peter Donald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Love to see this written down and put in a package.html doc :) Do you want to
> volunteer ? :)
>
> On Thu, 7 Mar 2002 23:53, Marcus Crafter wrote:
> > Hi Leif,
> >
> > 	Well, after a short interlude with our project work here, I was
> > 	finally able to have a look at your altprofile code.
> >
> > 	Nice stuff. It's certainly a lot further advanced than the code
> > 	I'd written. Well done.
> >
> > 	I've tried to get my head around your design, etc. Please tell
> > 	me if the following analysis is right:
> >
> > 	-----------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > 	The profile manager maintains a list of profilable objects,
> > 	registered either automatically by the profilable component
> > 	manager, or manually via a registerProfilable() method on the
> > 	manager itself.
> >
> > 	Each profilable exposes 0 to many profile points which maybe of
> > 	type 'value', or 'counter'.
> >
> > 	Upon registration with the profile manager, a profilable proxy
> > 	is created which manages profile point proxies across threadsafe
> > 	and non thread safe components.
> >
> > 	Profile point proxies let you register listener classes for
> > 	updates from the profile points themselves. The listeners can be
> > 	implementors of a lower level ProfilePointListener class, or
> > 	high level Sample classes.
> >
> > 	The profile manager can be configured to automatically create a
> > 	set of listeners (samplers in this case) for particular profile points
> > 	on a particular profilable. Samplers configured in this way can
> > 	be accessed via the profile manager. The gui reporter essentially
> > 	iterates through the list of available samplers when building
> > 	it's menu's.
> >
> > 	When profilables update their profile points, each listener is
> > 	informed of the update, along the lines of the observer pattern.
> >
> > 	The profiler manager exposes an array of all profilable descriptor
> > 	objects, which in turn expose an array of all profile point
> > 	descriptor objects, which offer reporting tools a way at
> > 	accessing the profilable objects this manager manages and
> > 	registering listeners.
> >
> > 	-----------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > 	Does this analysis sound right ? Is there anything I've missed ? I do
> > 	have a few comments, but I want to make sure I've understood everything
> > 	first. :-)
> >
> > 	Cheers,
> >
> > 	Marcus
>
> --
> Cheers,
>
> Pete
>
> *-----------------------------------------------------------------------*
> PROGRAM: n.  a magic spell cast over a computer allowing it to turn
> one's input into error messages.  v.t.  to engage in a pastime similar
> to banging one's head against a wall, but with fewer opportunities for
> reward.

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
    $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft GmbH
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
           \_&&&&'
          &&&&.
    &&&&&&&: