Posted to users@felix.apache.org by Matt Tennant <mt...@4home.com> on 2009/09/30 01:22:25 UTC

Failing to use remote shell

Hi all,

I've been trying to use the Apache Felix Remote Shell (as described at http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-remote-shell.html) in our application.  A partner of ours had it working, and it looks like a great feature.  However, it isn't working out of the box for me.

I am using a Felix 1.8.0 framework download.

I have these jars included in my bundles:
org.apache.felix.shell-1.2.0.jar
org.apache.felix.shell.remote-1.0.4.jar

I have these lines included in my config.properties:
osgi.shell.telnet=on
osgi.shell.telnet.port=6666
osgi.shell.telnet.maxconn=2
osgi.shell.telnet.socketTimeout=0

I've noticed that the first line (osgi.shell.telnet=on) is not mentioned in the reference I linked above, but it is in the config.properties of our partner.  I've tried both with and without that line.  I've also tried specifying that value at the command line rather than in config.properties.  There seems to be no effect.

When it's running, the window that launched Felix (if it was launched interactively at all), can use the Felix shell just fine.  But telnet to port 6666 is rejected (connection refused).  I've tried telneting from linux and from Windows using Putty.

I know this doesn't seem like a lot to go on, but the feature is so simple that I'm not sure what other details to add.  If anyone can help, or ask clarifying questions that might help, I would appreciate it!

Thanks,
Matt

Re: Failing to use remote shell

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
On 9/30/09 1:22, Matt Tennant wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been trying to use the Apache Felix Remote Shell (as described at http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-remote-shell.html) in our application.  A partner of ours had it working, and it looks like a great feature.  However, it isn't working out of the box for me.
>
> I am using a Felix 1.8.0 framework download.
>
> I have these jars included in my bundles:
> org.apache.felix.shell-1.2.0.jar
> org.apache.felix.shell.remote-1.0.4.jar
>
> I have these lines included in my config.properties:
> osgi.shell.telnet=on
> osgi.shell.telnet.port=6666
> osgi.shell.telnet.maxconn=2
> osgi.shell.telnet.socketTimeout=0
>
> I've noticed that the first line (osgi.shell.telnet=on) is not mentioned in the reference I linked above, but it is in the config.properties of our partner.  I've tried both with and without that line.  I've also tried specifying that value at the command line rather than in config.properties.  There seems to be no effect.

That property is unrelated and I will delete it from the config file in
future releases.

-> richard

Posted by Allen Lau <al...@gmail.com>.
Did you happen to set the
"osgi.shell.telnet.ip" to an ip other than 127.0.0.1?

Otherwise, you can only telnet to the server from the local machine where
Felix was started.