Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by William W <wi...@hotmail.com> on 2002/11/20 21:14:00 UTC

Book

I would like to buy a book about Lucene.
Who could write it ? : )

Re: Book

Posted by Ype Kingma <yk...@xs4all.nl>.
William,

> I would like to buy a book about Lucene.
> Who could write it ? : )
AFAIK there is no book, but some articles might help:

http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/cs?q=doug+cutting&submit=Search+Documents&cs=1

"Optimizations for Dynamic Inverted Index Maintenance" and
"An Object-Oriented Architecture for Text Retrieval" are the ones I like best.

Have fun,
Ype

Re: Book

Posted by Craig Walls <wa...@michaels.com>.
Yeah, I got the joke after I replied to your e-mail. (Sorry, I'm a bit slow today)

Don't get me wrong, I really like my article and I'm really proud of it (and the PDF
they sent me of it looks fantastic!)...It's just that since I wrote the thing much time
has passed and I've learned more about Lucene and had more opportunity to rethink some
parts of it. I still think it's a great article (and worth reading...buy a copy for all
of your friends!)--I'd just have done it differently given the chance.

Re: Book

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Re: Book

Posted by Craig Walls <wa...@michaels.com>.

Re: Book

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Re: Book

Posted by Craig Walls <wa...@michaels.com>.
JDJ usually makes their articles available online, but I'm not really sure how
that works or when they'll be online. I'll keep everyone posted.

Re: Book

Posted by David Kendig <dk...@gcmd.nasa.gov>.
Craig

Re: Book

Posted by Craig Walls <wa...@michaels.com>.

Range Query failing

Posted by Rob Outar <ro...@ideorlando.org>.
All,

	I have the following code that I know should return results but it is not,
does anything look odd with the following code?

        Term start = new Term(this.MODIFIED_DT,
DateField.dateToString(from));
        Term end = new Term(this.MODIFIED_DT, DateField.dateToString(to));
        RangeQuery q = new RangeQuery(start,end,true);
        Hits h = this.searcher.search(q);
	  System.out.println(q.toString(""));
        System.out.println(h.length());
        return this.buildReturnArray(h);

The query formed looks like this:

modified:[0d5qowrk8-0d20f7pnk]

My client code looks like this:

            String temp[] =  s.dateRangeQuery
            (new Date(f.lastModified()), new Date(f2.lastModified()));

Where f and f2 are java.io.Files whose lastModified dates have been indexed
in the following field:

  doc.add(new Field(MODIFIED_DT,
            DateField.timeToString(f.lastModified()), true, true, true));

Although tokenize is set to true, no tokeninging takes place, it's a hack to
allow for case insensitive searching using the following analyzer:

   public TokenStream tokenStream(String field, final Reader reader) {
        // do not tokenize any field
        TokenStream t = new CharTokenizer(reader) {
            protected boolean isTokenChar(char c) {
                return true;
            }
        };
        //case insensitive search
        t = new LowerCaseFilter(t);

        return t;
    }

Let me know if I am doing something wrong.

Thanks,

Rob

Posted by Craig Walls <wa...@michaels.com>.

Re: Fun project?

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Yeah, I thought of that, too.  JXTA is the P2P piece that you are
asking about.  A recent post on Slashdot mentioned something that IBM
did that sounds similar.  Time... :)

Otis

Fun project?

Re: Book

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
I wrote a few articles that I'm trying to publish somewhere now.
Cheaper than a book :)

Otis