Posted to user@openmeetings.apache.org by "Chamberland, Martin" <Ma...@fadq.qc.ca> on 2020/05/21 19:16:54 UTC

resize SCREEN (disconnect and connect)

[cid:banner1.jpg]

It's probably not really a bug, but let me  try to explain.

When someone enter a room, you have to resize his screen to fit your need (do that for everyone).
The problem start, when someone in the meeting have a poor connection,  he will be disconnected and reconnected automaticly, but you have to "again" and "again".... Resize his screen.
That is pretty annoying.

Can we disable something, to get rid of this behavior.

I hope I'm enough clear in my explanation

Re: resize SCREEN (disconnect and connect)

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.
I don't quite understand what you mean with "resize his screen".

You mean the whiteboard resize or actual screen sharing ?

Can you attach a screenshot ?

Cheers
Seb

Sebastian Wagner
Director Arrakeen Solutions
http://arrakeen-solutions.co.nz/
<https://www.youracclaim.com/badges/da4e8828-743d-4968-af6f-49033f10d60a/public_url>
<https://www.youracclaim.com/badges/b7e709c6-aa87-4b02-9faf-099038475e36/public_url>

Posted by "Chamberland, Martin" <Ma...@fadq.qc.ca>.
[cid:banner1.jpg]

Thank’s Konstantin to put in easy words all of what i’m trying so hard to explain.
My english is really not perfect and i search my words a lot, sorry about that.

Thank’s Maxim and all others developper to all you good works, really appreciate, nice community here

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
FTR https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENMEETINGS-2414

On Sat, 23 May 2020 at 19:30, Rohit Dhamal <ro...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
> Even I face the same problem. Imagine what would happen if there are 100+
> users!
>
> I have a suggestion to use the white board in fullscreen mode where html
> fluid code will automatically resize it on all devices.
> This problem mostly arises when client is on mobile phone.
> One more setting needs to be off by default and that is clicks with names
> (pointer). Some person clicks on the white board and everyone see it.
> Imagine 100 people doing it.
> These are the problems i am facing in daily lectures.
>
> Can anyone also guide me to solve the whiteboard contents not visible to
> the clients problem?
> Thanks.
> Regards,
> Rohit.
>
> Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Best regards,
Maxim

Re: resize SCREEN (disconnect and connect)

Posted by Konstantin Kuzov <ma...@gmail.com>.
сб, 23 мая 2020 г. в 05:36, Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>:

> Thanks,
> this is great starting point :))

Glad that you like it ^_^

> it looks very similar to interview room

Yeah, In some aspects. But without removing board functionality. And with
focus on strictly automatic cam management.

> Notes:
> 1. the controls might not fit onto small screen

2. same note for video area and video-on-user-list

Everything should be bootstrapped. Controls should dynamically react to
available area. So If there are not enough room for controls they should
hide themselves under dropdown list with single icon. If user resized
window or rotated device and there are enough room now they should unhide
back to normal. Kinda like main menu currently does (though too aggresive).
Maybe we should group all these setup/request/placement controls together
on one bar.

Same goes for user-list it should hide/resize unnecessary elements like
avatars and rearrange elements so they populate as less space as possible.
Like if we are constricted by width but not by height username goes above
video or even on top of it and so on. If something becomes too small for
reliably interacted by finger it should be also replaced by single button
with drop-down list.

Also majority of these small-screens if not all of them are portable
devices nowadays. And the common way to deal with them is to go with native
apps for these platforms. That way you will have better control,
performance, battery drain and doesn't have to be dealing with plethora of
different browsers and their quirks/constraints. Correct me if I'm wrong
but that way is currently infeasible for us. Because web-interface is too
tightly intertwined with server-side due to wicket and we don't have a
clean and abstract api of communication to decouple frontend web-UI from
backend java application. So writing standalone apps or alternative
web-interfaces on modern frameworks like react will be huge pain in the ass.

>> Algorithm of rectangle packing is debatable. I think it will be better to
>> dynamically calculate webcam sizes based on total number of cameras and
>> available area size so they are all the same size. And deny any user custom
>> movement/resizes. Maybe with exception that user can increase/decrease size
>> of specific webcams by factor of 2.
>>

> in this case camera resolution dialog is very much useless
> WDYT?

If we get rid of it we should also somehow tackle the problem of
controlling bandwidth consumtion and quality of streams. We doesn't want
that couple of desktop users with shiny full-hd webcams tank to ground weak
mobile connections and slow devices.
And at the same time we don't want to have blurry pixalated mess on
fullscreen if remote user has great webcam.

WebRTC have concepts of BWE (Bandwidth Estimation) and REMB (Received
Estimated Maximum Bitrate) but I'm not sure how they play in non-p2p mode
in relation with KMS if play at all. We also have bitrate constraints so we
can influence used bandwidth. But bitrate is directly tighted to video
resolution and video/audio quality. You don't need much bitrate to stream a
thumbnail but you need it for high resolution streams. Also, the more
resolution the more there be CPU (or dedicated hardware units on SoC,
GPU,...) usage for encoding on sender and decoding on receivers.

Aforementioned jitsi doesn't have resolution selector either. It has
server-side global variables for setting minimum and maximum resolutions.
When there are 2 cams in the room they use p2p mode with maximum possible
resolution (limited by maximum supported resolution by webcam hardware,
global server setting and available bandwidth between clients). When third
client enters the room they seemlessly switch to routing through
videobridge (in our case thats kms). When in videobridge mode they also
have feature called simulcast. Which roughly works like that: every
participant encodes simultaneously multiple copies of video streams with
different resolutions, bitrates and even framerates and push them all to
videobridge. When remote client see his stream in small thumbnail only
smallest stream is send to him, when he switch that webcam to fullscreen it
seemlessly switch to stream with maximum resolution if there are available
bandwidth. In other cases like tile-view medium streams are typically
transmitted. In other words they seemlessly adapt transmitted content to
presentation size and bandwidth constraints between client and videobridge.
So at the expense of mostly static and predictable increase of cpu usage
and upload bandwidth on every client you at the same time see great quality
streams and could participate in very large video conferences without
issues related to download bandwidth constraints or hardware overload due
to receiving and decoding of many high-definition streams simultaneously.

Re: resize SCREEN (disconnect and connect)

Posted by Peter Dähn <da...@vcrp.de>.
Hi,

ones again me.. ;-) I missed that one...
/
//    in this case camera resolution dialog is very much useless //
//    WDYT? /

Layouts with small cam pictures should use smaller resolutions to save
bandwidth... Is it possible to negotiate this automatically?

Greetings Peter

Posted by Peter Dähn <da...@vcrp.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.

--
Best regards,
Maxim

RE: resize SCREEN (disconnect and connect)

Posted by "Coscend@OM" <OM...@Coscend.com>.
Hello,

These could be two separate features, perhaps enabled or disabled in adminà config for different rooms.

1.     Preserving local user-settled size of videos.

Automatic re-connect by user.

Or, a user may intentionally resize or turn off and turn on videos due to low Internet speed or to increase whiteboard space.

2.     Fixing videos as a pod on window.  Vs. Dragging, placing and resizing videos at our will.

Perhaps there can be multiple room templates.

Room Template 1:  Current Presentation room template:  No fixed window position for videos. Flexibly drag and move videos to wherever one likes.

For those who need more whiteboard space (extensively require collaboration) and use videos limitedly.

Example:  Everyday routinely used by our engineering, marketing and product teams.

Room template 2:  Fix video pod position on a window.

For those who use videos more and less collaboration space is fine.

Other room templates:  interview room (no whiteboard collaboration space), etc.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Hemant K. Sabat

www.Coscend.com <http://www.coscend.com/>

Real-time, Interactive Video Collaboration, Tele-healthcare, Tele-education, Telepresence Services, on the fly…

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: See 'Confidentiality Notice Regarding E-mail Messages from Coscend Communications Solutions' posted at:  <http://www.coscend.com/Anchor/Common/Terms_and_Conditions.html> http://www.Coscend.com/Anchor/Common/Terms_and_Conditions.html

RE: resize SCREEN (disconnect and connect)

Posted by "Chamberland, Martin" <Ma...@fadq.qc.ca>.
[cid:banner1.jpg]

I like it !

Thank’s for that debate ☺

Posted by Konstantin Kuzov <ma...@gmail.com>.
Something like that:

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.

--
Best regards,
Maxim

Re: resize SCREEN (disconnect and connect)

Posted by Konstantin Kuzov <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Chamberland, Martin" <Ma...@fadq.qc.ca>.
[cid:banner1.jpg]

Gerald,

«…so if they reconnect the window will appear in the same places”
That is not a bad idea.

I’m glad that someone had same behaviour has us here,  I mean users with bad network connection.

I know that, for best use, good wifi or even get cable connection is really better to use any product (Teams, Jitsi, Via, Zoom etc etc…)

I had the same experience like Martin,  the hotkey is a good hint. I will try in the next sessions.

Probably Martin means to store the positions of all the user windows once they are connected, so if they reconnect the window will appear in the same places, where we moved it before.

Gerald

AW: resize SCREEN (disconnect and connect)

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.

--
Best regards,
Maxim

RE: resize SCREEN (disconnect and connect)

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
Hello Martin,