Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@4quarters.com> on 2004/02/14 14:19:09 UTC

velocity-based debug console

Dain wanted to convert the existing console-web webapp from JSP to
Velocity.  I took that on and in the tiny bits of time I've had
available over the last 2 days, the basic thing is working.

Like N. Alex's console-web, it shows a list of all mbeans, and you can
click to get attributes and such for the mbean.  The difference is that
it's velocity based, very simple, and artistically challenged.  I
didn't want to spend time on art before we thought more on how things
should be structured, and because I'm pretty bad at it.

I have a few ideas on what to change, but I wanted to get it in so
others could play and comment.  Also, I know that this isn't meant to
be the console, but rather a 'debug tool', and want input on what to do
with it.

So, should I check in as a new module?  'debug-tools' maybe?  For now,
it will parallel console-web in structure, but other debug tools can be
added over time.  Let me know...

geir

geir@4quarters.com

Re: velocity-based debug console

Posted by Matthew David Kurjanowicz <mk...@cc.gatech.edu>.
The Swing console is definitly an "application" - it's just a custom
service set using Geronimo.
-Matt Kurjanowicz

Posted by David Jencks <da...@coredevelopers.net>.
On Tuesday, February 17, 2004, at 07:24 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> ok- how about we punt on the A/B/C and just do
>
> /geronimo/applications/jmx-debug-web

that would be excellent.

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@4quarters.com>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@coredevelopers.net>.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@4quarters.com>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@coredevelopers.net>.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@4quarters.com>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@coredevelopers.net>.
> geronimo/applications/console-web/ allows the applications to be built
> with a trivial modification of the maven stuff.

> geronimo/applications/console/web/ requires a lot more fiddling with
> top level maven.xml.  how many of these applications are we going to
> support?  I vote for geronimo/applications/console-web/.

(Hope this is intelligible,  mac mail client is acting weird with
quoting stuff)
david jencks

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@coredevelopers.net>.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@4quarters.com>.
On Feb 14, 2004, at 11:37 AM, Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>> So, should I check in as a new module?  'debug-tools' maybe?  For
>> now, it will parallel console-web in structure, but other debug tools
>> can be added over time.  Let me know...
>
> I was wondering if we should distinguish between modules (bits of the
> server) and applications (things that run on it), with console-web and
> this being applications rather than modules.
>
> Thoughts?

Makes sense.   I have no real feelings either way.

I'm assuming that we'll want to add the ability to do things like
modify attributes and invoke operations, but want to wait for comment
on what's there first...

geir

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
	And tools, at least insofar as we have command-line or application
tools (such as a deployer or command-line admin tools) that are running
neither in the server nor on it, but still communicate with it.  though
there's no reason these couldn't be bundled with the web apps.

Aaron

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <je...@coredevelopers.net>.