Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by William Waites <ww...@tardis.ed.ac.uk> on 2012/01/31 11:13:23 UTC

JENA shell scripts

The shell scripts that come with Jena start with #!/bin/bash. This is
a non-standard shell, meaning there is no guarantee that bash is
installed on a system or is installed in that location. BSD systems,
for example, have bash as a 3rd party add-on in
/usr/local/bin. Similarly for HP-UX and at least older Solaris.

Nothing in the shell scripts uses any fancy features of bash, so
actually it is unnecessary. The attached patch changes these lines to
#!/bin/sh where we can expect a posix-compliant bourne shell to live.

Cheers,
-w

Re: JENA shell scripts

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 31/01/12 10:13, William Waites wrote:
> The shell scripts that come with Jena start with #!/bin/bash. This is
> a non-standard shell, meaning there is no guarantee that bash is
> installed on a system or is installed in that location. BSD systems,
> for example, have bash as a 3rd party add-on in
> /usr/local/bin. Similarly for HP-UX and at least older Solaris.
>
> Nothing in the shell scripts uses any fancy features of bash, so
> actually it is unnecessary. The attached patch changes these lines to
> #!/bin/sh where we can expect a posix-compliant bourne shell to live.
>
> Cheers,
> -w

The scripts are produced by a script and a template.

I've modified the template and rerun.

We'll soon know ... /bin/sh on Ubuntu isn't bash.

Elsewhere some scripts have bash-isms.

	Thanks,
	Andy