Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by d resnik <dr...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2019/04/26 09:41:27 UTC

java version to build accumulo

I am trying to build accumulo 2.0 (master) to work on a ticket, but I keep getting this error:

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:3.7.0:compile (default-compile) on project accumulo-core: Compilation failure: Compilation failure:

[ERROR] /Users/VandelayMacBookAir/git/accumulo/core/src/main/java/org/apache/accumulo/core/metadata/schema/TabletMetadata.java:[352,62] incompatible types: ? super java.util.Iterator<java.util.Map.Entry<org.apache.accumulo.core.data.Key,org.apache.accumulo.core.data.Value>> cannot be converted to java.util.Iterator<java.util.Map.Entry<org.apache.accumulo.core.data.Key,org.apache.accumulo.core.data.Value>>

[ERROR] /Users/VandelayMacBookAir/git/accumulo/core/src/main/java/org/apache/accumulo/core/metadata/schema/TabletMetadata.java:[352,35] incompatible types: bad return type in lambda expression

[ERROR]     cannot infer type-variable(s) F,T
[ERROR]       (argument mismatch; incompatible parameter types in lambda expression)
Here is my java version

java version "1.8.0_31"

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.31-b07, mixed mode)
I can't find anything in the accumulo docs about the java version required, please let me know if I need to upgrade java to build.
Thanks,
Don Resnik

Re: java version to build accumulo

Posted by d resnik <dr...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
 Chris,
Thanks and I appreciate your comment.  Turns our Java 8_31 is from 2015, so it was not really reasonable for me to think that would work.  Now that I have upgraded java, I have Fluo uno set up with my local repo so I am able to test my accumulo changes easily.  I am finishing up my second ticket now and should have it code review today.
Don
    On Saturday, April 27, 2019, 10:28:42 PM EDT, Christopher <ct...@apache.org> wrote:

 The version required to build may change over time, but it is declared
in the pom.xml build configuration, and helpfully checked and enforced
by the maven-enforcer-plugin which will print a message and abort the
build if the requirements aren't met when you try to build. Currently,
1.8 is the minimum required for both the 1.9 branch and the master
branch.

In theory, any 1.8 version should work. We don't specify anything more
specific than 1.8. However, there's nothing we can do about a broken
installation or a buggy version of 1.8 that is later patched to fix a
version that doesn't comply with the 1.8 java specifications. We also
don't do anything to require OpenJDK, Oracle JDK, IBM JDK, or any
other version. If updating your software fixed the issue for you, the
best I can suggest is to keep your build environment up-to-date to
avoid bugs in your build tools.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Posted by d resnik <dr...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Jeff,
I was using ‘mvn package’
I will upgrade java and try again.
Thanks,
Don

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Friday, April 26, 2019, 7:21 AM, Jeffrey Manno <je...@gmail.com> wrote:

You can try upgrading java to see if that helps. For reference, my version
is 1.8.0_201.

Which maven command are you using to build accumulo 2.0?

Posted by Jeffrey Manno <je...@gmail.com>.