Posted to dev@directmemory.apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/02 10:06:51 UTC

Re: Board report for directmemory

On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 6:15 PM, Raffaele P. Guidi
<ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Greg, that was just a sarcastic answer to a sarcastic comment. Honestly not

hehehe...

> Is "not much happening here" a significant issue to report?

Actually... yes :-)  The Board looks at projects that have become
inactive and no plans for fixing that. When we see a project reports
"no activity" for several reports, then we start to ask questions.
This is one of the reasons that we've started to become pretty
hard-lined on projects reporting last-release-date,
last-committer-add-date, and last-pmc-add-date. Those are some easy,
key factors in the progress of a community.

There are a hojillion reasons for inactivity, so it becomes very
subjective. But the *reporting* is very helpful. The Board has a huge
depth of experience, and may be able to provide helpful tips for
projects that have become stuck. But we need to hear that. (Board
members sometimes perform their own reviews, but it is best to simply

HTH,
-g

Re: Board report for directmemory

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for listening to our grumpiness! ;-)

Posted by "Raffaele P. Guidi" <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by "Raffaele P. Guidi" <ra...@gmail.com>.
Ok, good to know, we'll try to expand on that, then, but, of course the
real problem is that DirectMemory has not any corporate sponsorship and is
a tool that addresses a niche requirement (applications that cope with HUGE
quantities of RAM). Not having a large diffusion it of course limits the
number of developers interested in contributing.

In any case I ask everybody here (devs and pmc members) to share thoughts
about this and how to address the problem (if the problem is real).

Thanks,
    Raffaele