Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rob Hartill <ro...@imdb.com> on 1997/06/20 00:18:12 UTC

Web-Server FAQ question (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 09:54:15 -0400
From: jagadish@apollo.hp.com
To: apache-bugs@apache.org
Subject: Web-Server FAQ question

Hi,

I'm part of HP compilers' core Optimizer team.
This is with regards to your FAQ on WWW.
You claim that Apache web servers comprise 1/3 of all installed web
servers, so a lot of people probably go through the FAQ. So I thought I'll
make a personal comment here as a user of Apache Web Server.

>From the Apache Web Server FAQ:
>(http://www.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ.html)

>36.Why do I get core dumps under HPUX using HP's ANSI C compiler?

>We have had numerous reports of Apache dumping core when compiled with
>HP's ANSI C compiler using optimization. Disabling the compiler
>optimization has fixed these problems.

I got the sources for Apache WebServer, compiled it successfully on a HP-UX
10.20 OS with a HP ANSI C compiler (for 10.20 version) at +O4 (highest
optimization level available), installed it and it runs happily !
NO CORE DUMPS !!

This is just my own EXERCISE. The comments below are my own OPINIONS. They don't
represent or reflect HEWLETT-PACKARD's opinions in any way.

I've attached a transcript of the compile session. I don't know how someone got
a core dump. I would be interested in the compiler options they used. This may
be because the compiler/OS is out of sync. HPC compiler is
a seperate product not shipped with HP-UX. So there are different compilers for
different releases of HP-UX. A lot of them can be used across revisions & the
targets are binary compatible. Usually new releases are issued to add new
functionality and to fix bugs. In case of problems, we recommend upgrading your
compiler and/or your operating system.

Regards,
- Jagadish S. Bandhole
  Massachusetts Language Lab
  Hewlett-Packard
  jagadish@apollo.hp.com

Re: Web-Server FAQ question (fwd)

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>.
This was with older versions, and it only happened every once in a while
under certain conditions.

The only reference to the problem I can find right now is PR#397
(http://www.apache.org/bugdb.cgi/full/397).

I don't think any of the developers ever replicated it (or tried), but we
have had a good number of people having the same problem, and disabling
optimization fixed it for them.  I wouldn't be suprised if new versions
fixed it.