Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Brian O'Rourke <br...@gmail.com> on 2005/10/28 16:54:29 UTC

Fwd: FarmWarDeployer

Trying the dev list...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Brian O'Rourke <br...@gmail.com>
Date: Oct 26, 2005 1:37 PM
Subject: FarmWarDeployer
To: users@tomcat.apache.org

Hello,

Is FarmWarDeployer ready for use? I have played around with it a little but
have been unsuccessful so far. Is there any documentation of this that I
have missed? I haven't been able to figure out how context configuration is
done for this deployer, but I noticed some oddities - e.g. that the context
name is determined by the name of the war file. Is there a working set of
functionality that FarmWarDeployer handles now, or should I just stay away
from it altogether?

Thanks,
Brian O'Rourke

Re: Fwd: FarmWarDeployer

Posted by Peter Rossbach <pr...@objektpark.de>.
Hey!

At development with Tomcat 5.5.9 and 5.5.12 I have successful used
FarmWarDeployer, but
    -   you lost your complete session information at your cluster
    -   Use it without waitForAck or with a great ackTimeout ( >
deployment time)
    -   only one config can have watchEnabled="true"
    -   directories must be writeable ( tempDir, deploydir, watchDir)

             <Deployer
className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.deploy.FarmWarDeployer"
                      tempDir="${catalina.base}/cluster/temp"
                      deployDir="${catalina.base}/webapps"
                      watchDir="${catalina.base}/cluster/watch"
                      watchEnabled="@node.watchEnabled@"
                      processDeployFrequency="2"/>

At production sites I shutdown all tomcat nodes, copy the new war files
and start all nodes again.
Don't start next node before other node is complete up.

regards
Peter

Re: Fwd: FarmWarDeployer

Posted by Brian O'Rourke <br...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the replies. Your and Peter's reasoning make sense. Hot deploy
feels very attractive for quick and easy bugfixes, but the risks of doing
that in a production environment are fairly great. Sounds like I will be
using a setup very similar to Peter's for production.

Thanks again,
Brian O'Rourke

Re: Fwd: FarmWarDeployer

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.