Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by David E Jones <de...@me.com> on 2010/03/11 08:19:57 UTC

Brainstorming about the Framework: General

If you could change anything about the OFBiz framework (not related to a specific tier), what would it be? This could be about how OFBiz is deployed, how the tools fit together, how application components are written and organized, and so on.

All comments are welcome. If there is another tool you'd like to see used, please describe what you like about it (like "I've found the aspect oriented inversion of control approach nice because I can plugin all sorts of tools and the full life cycle of the tools are managed for me") instead of just mentioning the tool (like "let's use Spring!").

Why am I asking? This topic comes up every once in a while, and it's true that many suggestions never get enough support to actually happen (or on further research it is decided that the idea is not tenable), but brainstorming about them to get ideas in the open is still a great thing. The history of OFBiz is full of things like this where users and more casual contributors had ideas and saw possibilities that others, even more involved contributors, totally missed or never looked at that way. What I think would be fun, and ultimately useful too, is to keep this mostly to brainstorming and not do too much comparing of ideas.

BTW, if you want to brainstorm about one of the tiers (ie the Data, Logic, or UI tiers) please use the other threads on those.

-David

Re: Brainstorming about the Framework: General

Posted by Christopher Snow <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk>.
1) replace the ofbiz component loader (i.e. ofbiz configuration) with
technology like OSGi or DI (e.g. spring)

BENEFITS:
+ reduce the amount of time a new ofbiz developer working on the ofbiz
framework will have to spend understanding the component loader
+ help manage the dependencies and interfaces between each component
making them easier to test and operate independently of the whole
framework (e.g. allowing use of the entity engine with grails, or entity
engine + service engine with grails)
+ make ofbiz more desirable to framework developers

2) move the components (e.g. entity engine, service engine) to their own
svn repositories, and move the component config files to a separate
location away from the code.

BENEFITS:
+ make it easier to manage patching, for example bug fixes to the entity
engine would just be packaged into ofbiz-entity.jar and replace the
existing jar in an ofbiz installation

3) make running in tomcat as a war an OOTB option.

BENEFITS:
+ makes ofbiz more attractive to enterprises wanting ofbiz to fit in to
their existing JEE architecture.

... probably more to follow ...

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
Hi David:
re: "role based security". Let me get back to you on that. It will take
me some time to give details on this.

Thanks for asking.
Ruth
Find me on the web at http://www.myofbiz.com or Google keyword "myofbiz"
ruth.hoffman@myofbiz.com

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
Hi David:

Posted by Raj Saini <ra...@gmail.com>.
Thought a bit more about it and we can use the ofbiz-componet.xml as it
is similar to the plugin.xml of Eclipse. I will work on a prototype to
evaluate it.

Thanks,

Raj

Posted by Raj Saini <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi David,

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks Raj,

Fun isn'it? :D
I think if we do it seriouly we can benefit from this better organized way for suggestions.
Is anybody against putting a link from the main site?
I guess I will use http://ofbiz.uservoice.com/ since Raj put the 1st real question there
We could create as much as forums as we need, but for now this one is clearly enough.

Jacques

From: "Raj Saini" <ra...@gmail.com>

Posted by Raj Saini <ra...@gmail.com>.
Done  :-)