Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com> on 2006/11/15 17:48:50 UTC

Switching to ActiveMQ 4.2 to Java 5???

Hi folks,

How do you guys feel about switching the minimum run time requirement
for ActiveMQ 4.2 to be Java 5??  I'm itching to do this since Java 5
has a much better set of concurrent implementation.

We can keep the 4.1.x branch alive as the Java 1.4 compatible version.
 Also I have a feeling that once we switch to Java 5, someone will
figure out how to use retrotranslator to make our Java 5 binaries also
run on Java 1.4.  But I doubt anybody will make any efforts to look
into that until we actually jump to Java 5.

So what do you say?  Shall we switch ??

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Re: Switching to ActiveMQ 4.2 to Java 5???

Posted by Brian McCallister <br...@pobox.com>.
On Nov 16, 2006, at 1:55 AM, Endre Stølsvik wrote:

> Don't be too afraid of changing major-versions - other companies
> routinely go much further than "one-uping": from 1.4 to 5.0 (:-)),
> and 2.6 to 7 (Solaris), and 3.11 to 95, 4.0 to 2000, 2000 to
> 'XP' (!), 4 to 6 (Netscape) and so on!! ;-)
>   Tomcat peculiarly went from 5.0 to 5.5 on its java 1.4->1.5
> dependency change (which I believe they somewhat regret - that
> story is rather difficult to get across without "eh, say again?!"s).

AMQ has been good so far about major numbers meaning incompatible
wire format changes. I think this is a good idea, and a good thing to
remain consistent on.

-Brian

Re: Switching to ActiveMQ 4.2 to Java 5???

Posted by Endre Stølsvik <Ap...@stolsvik.com>.
Hiram Chirino wrote:
> On 11/15/06, Endre Stølsvik <Ap...@stolsvik.com> wrote:
>> Hiram Chirino wrote:
>> > Hi folks,
>> >
>> > How do you guys feel about switching the minimum run time requirement
>> > for ActiveMQ 4.2 to be Java 5??  I'm itching to do this since Java 5
>> > has a much better set of concurrent implementation.
>> >
>> > We can keep the 4.1.x branch alive as the Java 1.4 compatible version.
>> > Also I have a feeling that once we switch to Java 5, someone will
>> > figure out how to use retrotranslator to make our Java 5 binaries also
>> > run on Java 1.4.  But I doubt anybody will make any efforts to look
>> > into that until we actually jump to Java 5.
>> >

>> Rather big move for a minor version - why not call it ActiveMQ 5 instead
>> (It'll even align!).
>>

> lol.. good point.  But I'd hate to have big increases without big
> functionality changes especially if the clients are still compatible
> with the 4.x stuff.

It is a rather big _requirement_ change, though?

(And you'll probably introduce some internal changes, and you'll remove
a large pile of code (the down-port of concurrent), and .. so on.. going
from Java 1.4 to 1.5.)

IMHO, the story "ActiveMQ 5 only works on java 1.5 ("5"), while ActiveMQ
4 is the older version that works on java 1.4 (and java 1.5)" would be
rather simple to tell, as opposed to exchanging those two versions with
"4.2" and "4.1".

Particularly since I'll bet that you'll have a rather long maintenance
story going with the "java 1.4" branch afterwards - so this won't be a
small nice little "dot-change", as such.

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.

Posted by Endre Stølsvik <Ap...@stolsvik.com>.

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
Well it looks like we have pretty good consensus on moving to java 5
I'll start updating the build shortly.

Posted by Rob Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.
about time :) -

+1

Posted by Brian McCallister <br...@apache.org>.
I am all for it, personally, with 1.6 due out any week now.

-Brian

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On Nov 15, 2006, at 9:10 AM, James Strachan wrote:

> We should switch to Java 5 for compilation and for the default release
> (since the concurrent stuff is  faster & more bug free on Java 5) but
> maybe provide a retrotranslator version of the jars for those who
> can't move JVM.
>
> i.e. build on Java 5 only - but allow deployments on 1.4

+1

Regards,
Alan

Re: Switching to ActiveMQ 4.2 to Java 5???

Posted by Dejan Bosanac <de...@nighttale.net>.
As far as I know retrotranslator has a maven plugin, so it is just a
matter of build process ... I've used it in Ant build process and it
was pretty straightforward. The scenario was something like this:

- build the source 1.5
- pack it in a jar
- use retrotranslator to make it 1.4 compatible
- pack it in a 1.4 jar

It was a much simpler project then AMQ but I assume that it should do the trick

Regards,
Dejan

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
Agreed. Its very easy to use the 1.5 bytecode on 1.4 without any work
by just installing the retrotranslator JIT :)

--

James
-------

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.

Posted by Kelly Campbell <ke...@gmail.com>.
+1 for 1.5, but perhaps keep the client-side 1.4 compatible?

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
On Nov 15, 2006, at 9:10 AM, James Strachan wrote:

> +1.
>
> We should switch to Java 5 for compilation and for the default release
> (since the concurrent stuff is  faster & more bug free on Java 5) but
> maybe provide a retrotranslator version of the jars for those who
> can't move JVM.
>
> i.e. build on Java 5 only - but allow deployments on 1.4

+1

--jason

Re: Switching to ActiveMQ 4.2 to Java 5???

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1.

--

James
-------

Posted by Dejan Bosanac <de...@nighttale.net>.
How about for creation of META-INF/services files for FactoryFinder?

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.

--

James
-------

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
Sounds good.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Re: Switching to ActiveMQ 4.2 to Java 5???

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
+1 with or without retrotranslator

-dain

Posted by Adrian Co <ac...@exist.com>.
+1 about time. :)

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
Well..

I think we should get used to it.  We should always keep at least 1
stable branch.

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.

Apache ActiveMQ - http://activemq.org/
Castor - http://castor.org/