Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Senefsky <ms...@yahoo.com> on 2001/06/07 01:54:03 UTC

Newbie Help

Greetings all...

I recently hooked up with a new hosting company and they sent me the
following directions for compiling and installing Jakarta and Tomcat.
I hit a snag in the middle (please scroll to // comments) and I don't know
what to do.

Solution:
1) Open a telnet or SSH session to your Freedom server.
2) Download the proper files to your server.

You are going to need to download both the binary and source versions of
jakarta for this installation.

In a web browser connect to http://jakarta.apache.org. Once there click
Binaries. Under Release Builds select Tomcat 3.2.2 or similar. This will
bring you to new screen where you will need to find the GZIP compressed
distribution, right click on it and select "Copy Shortcut".

Once you have this in your clip board go back in to your telnet window
and type the following:
cd [enter]
mkdir servlets [enter]
cd servlets [enter]
Inside telnet prompt at your Freedom server type:
lynx
Then paste in your URL, so you have something like the following and hit
enter:
lynx
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat/release/v3.2.1/bin/jakar
ta-tomcat-3.2.1.tar.gz
Select d for download
Once prompted to "save to disk" hit enter
Press enter to okay the filename.
Then q and y to accept this quit

downloading the source for the same version number of tomcat. The file
may be something like jakarta-tomcat-3.2.2-src.tar.gz.

3) Once you have both of these files in your servlets directory you will
need to ucompress them.

In your telnet session type:
tar xzvf jakarta-tomcat-3.2.2.tar.gz [enter]
tar xzvf jakarta-tomcat-3.2.2-src.tar.gz [enter]

4) Next You will want to compile mod_jserv

To do this first move in to the proper directory, in this case:
cd jakarta-tomcat-3.2.2-src/src/native/apache/jserv/ [enter]

Then type the command to actually compile the module:
/www/bin/apxs -c -o mod_jserv.so *.c [enter]

Once this finishes you should copy the module to a more convenient
location:
cp mod_jserv.so /home/yourusername/servlets/ [enter]

5) Next you need to start tomcat.

To make this easiest I would suggest getting in to the tcsh shell first
and making sure your PATH includes that java bin directory:
tcsh [enter]
setenv PATH /usr/local/jdk1.1.8:$PATH [enter]

Now start jakarta tomcat:
/home/yourusername/servlets/jakarta-tomcat-3.2.2/bin/startup.sh [enter]

//---------------------------------------------------------------------
// I MADE IT TO HERE
//
// I got this message:
//
// Guessing TOMCAT_HOME from tomcat.sh to
// /home/senefsky/servlets/jakarta-tomcat-3.2.2/bin/..
// Setting TOMCAT_HOME to
// /home/senefsky/servlets/jakarta-tomcat-3.2.2/bin/..
// Cannot find JAVA. Please set your PATH.
//
//---------------------------------------------------------------------

That will generate a configuration file that you need to backup and
modify.

6) Next you will need to create and modify a backup of the configuration
file, because this config file is created with the assumption that you
put mod_jserv in the /www/libexec directory which you do not have access
to.

To create a backup of the configuration file type from you telnet
prompt:
cd /home/yourusername/servlets/jakarta-tomcat-3.2.2/conf/ [enter]
cd tomcat-apache.conf my-tomcat-apache.conf [enter]

Now modify the backed up file:
pico -w my-tomcat-apache.conf [enter]

Replace:
LoadModule  jserv_module libexec/mod_jserv.so

With:
LoadModule  jserv_module /home/yourusername/servlets/mod_jserv.so

Finally, type [ctrl]+x, then hit y [enter] to save the file.

7) Now you want to add this new file to your apache configuration.

Add the following line to the bottom of your httpd.conf file:
Include
/home/yourusername/servlets/jakarta-tomcat-3.2.2/conf/my-tomcat-apache.c
onf

8) Enable tomcat to work through Apache

Do this by restarting Apache, which can be done with the following
command:
apachectl restart [enter]

To verify it is running try going to the following pages:
http://www.yourdomain.com/examples/jsp/index.html
http://www.yourdomain.com/examples/servlets/index.html

Thanks in advance...
Mark