Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Craig Raw <cr...@quirk.co.za> on 2004/08/18 12:42:38 UTC

Using the JTNEF library

Moving this to the dev list, and cc'ing Amichai...

Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Would you like to follow up with him?

Okay, cut 'n paste of Amichai's response:

---
Hi Craig,

I'd be glad to integrate my package into such a lovely open source project (we actually use James in
a system we're developing where I work :-) ). How exactly shall we go about doing this? will u be
using it as a third-party open source non-problematic-license imported package, or were u thinking
of actually integrating the code into the project, to be worked on and maintained by contributors?
can u give me all the details? also regarding where/how it will be used exactly (technically, that is)?

Amichai
---

Amichai, thanks for your quick response. Regarding your question on use of the package, I would
think as a third-party imported library, but I'd like to hear the thoughts of Noel etc on this
point. In this case, I would imagine that the GPL headers in the code and the relevant documentation
in the distribution would need to change.

Amichai, your package is used in a James mailet, which is a class that accepts an email object as
input and performs some processing on it before sending it on in the mail server pipeline. In this
case, I am just issuing a call to to net.freeutils.tnef.mime.TNEFMime.convert(Session, MimeMessage)
in the mailet. This mailet can be optionally included in any particular JAMES setup, should the
adminstrator need to extract TNEF attachments on the server.

/craig