Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by jlwpc1 <jl...@earthlink.net> on 1999/11/17 18:02:21 UTC

Process/thread confusion

> > Unfortunately, the current Apache multi-process (versus multi-threaded)
> > architecture makes it difficult to implement an in-process servlet engine
> > for Apache, so it's unclear (to me) how Jakarta will address this aspect of
> > the problem.
>
> Apache 2.0 is multithreaded ( on OS-es where this is supported ).
>
> Even with Apache 1.3 it is possible to run it in a multithreaded mode ( for
> Windows it's the default mode).
>
> Tomcat works with in-process jvm, I'll clean up the code and check in
> as soon as I get some time ...
>
> Costin

Maybe I'm the only confused one but one day it might be a good idea for Jakarta/Apache developers to "define" process, task,  events (signals), semaphores, mutexes, "critial section blocking" and threads (native/green/?) for all OSs.  So when people say process they will not think thread <g>. Or should we?  Apache Server runs on many OSs and so will Jakarta.

Anyway my Jakarta report  - Win32  Win95  OSR2  Winsock2.2  JDK1.2 (unfortunately I took off my C compiler years ago (version 4) - only Java for a while now )

Tomcat did work right away with just the word build (under Win95 after adding the JVM 1.2.2 tools.jar to the CLASSPATH in build.bat) even in spite of all those directories???  Is there a list of needed/wanted dirs? Why so many?

Maybe I'm too soon but, I believe the game plan is to hook up Tomcat with Apache Server (or any server) so looking at the Win32 code (?) under native dir (under C) - how is Tomcat (for Win32 or any OS) going to be "handled" to work with Apache 2.0 (or even 1.3 for now) or even to any server?

On my 1114 download I could not find door.h ?
org.apache.tomcat.shell.Ajp11Start?
conf/ajp11.conf?

Maybe I missed them somewhere. I just started looking at Jakarta.

Thanks,
JLW

Re: What is Watchdog?

Posted by "Anil K. Vijendran" <An...@eng.sun.com>.
Watchdog is a bunch of compliance tests for JSP and servlets. There's a
harness that is part of Watchdog and it is called Moo. Moo is a client that
makes accesses to JSPs and servlets that are deployed on the webserver (of
your choice). There are scripts to run the entire test suite.

I don't think watchdog downloads are available now. It will be soon.

Bob Byron wrote:

> I read the Watchdog page under the Jakarta partition of the website and
> didn't really gather what Watchdog is, or its benefits.  Can some one
> elaborate?  Does this take a JSP source file and validate it?
>
> Is there more documentation somewhere that I missed?
>
> Thank You,
> Bob Byron
> RAD Systems, Inc.
> www.radit.com
> (972)516-4256

Peace, Anil +<:-)

What is Watchdog?

Re: Process/thread confusion

Posted by Pierpaolo Fumagalli <pi...@apache.org>.
jlwpc1 <jl...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Maybe I'm the only confused one but one day it might be a good idea for
> Jakarta/Apache developers to "define" process, task,  events (signals),
> semaphores, mutexes, "critial section blocking" and threads (native/green/?)
> for all OSs.  So when people say process they will not think thread <g>. Or
> should we?  Apache Server runs on many OSs and so will Jakarta.

These are definitely not concepts used and/or misused by this list. I mean
the concept of process, thread, mutex, semaphore and so one have been
introduced years ago in one of those dark chapters of history called
"multitasking"... I'd suggest you to pick up a nice book that explains the
fundamentals of multitasking techniques, and to see how these techniques
have been applied on the different OSes... (A thread is a thread, under
Solaris, Linux, Win32 and DOS -wich has no threads!- )

    Pier