Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Rick Reumann <st...@reumann.net> on 2005/08/03 20:52:50 UTC

[OT] wrong list I know, but lazy, Tomcat 5.5 question

Was using JBoss and now I'm using Tomcat 5.5 stand-alone for an
application I'm working on. I plop a war into webapps and it deploys
fine but problems with some JNDI lookup and all kinds of errors dump to
the console (Windows). What I'd like to know is how come I can't find a
log file that shows all these errors in the log directory? Under jboss
the server.log file shows all the console error garbage but I'm not
geting anything like that with Tomcat5.5. I get stuff written to the
localhost and catalina logs but nothing related to the huge stacktrace
that is going beyond the buffer size of my console window. Any help with
this log issue would be much appreciated.

--
Rick

Re: [OT] wrong list I know, but lazy, Tomcat 5.5 question

Posted by Rick Reumann <st...@reumann.net>.
Laurie Harper wrote the following on 8/3/2005 3:22 PM:

> Depends how you start Tomcat. If you start it with 'startup.bat' or
> 'catalina.bat start' (i think that's right; the UNIX equivalent would be
> 'catalina.sh start') then console output will go to logs/catalina.out.

Hmmm... I'm starting it on windows double-clicking on the startup.bat
and there is a catalina.(timestamp).log but it doesn't show the errors
out that are showing in the console. There is not catalina.out logfile
in the logs directory:(

Posted by Laurie Harper <la...@holoweb.net>.
Rick Reumann wrote:
> Was using JBoss and now I'm using Tomcat 5.5 stand-alone for an
> application I'm working on. I plop a war into webapps and it deploys
> fine but problems with some JNDI lookup and all kinds of errors dump to
> the console (Windows). What I'd like to know is how come I can't find a
> log file that shows all these errors in the log directory? Under jboss
> the server.log file shows all the console error garbage but I'm not
> geting anything like that with Tomcat5.5. I get stuff written to the
> localhost and catalina logs but nothing related to the huge stacktrace
> that is going beyond the buffer size of my console window. Any help with
> this log issue would be much appreciated.

Depends how you start Tomcat. If you start it with 'startup.bat' or
'catalina.bat start' (i think that's right; the UNIX equivalent would be
'catalina.sh start') then console output will go to logs/catalina.out. If
you start it with 'catalina.bat run' (again, assuming the Windows batch
files follow the UNIX ones), console output goes to the console only.

L.
--
Laurie, Open Source advocate, Java geek and novice blogger:
http://www.holoweb.net/laurie

Re: [OT] wrong list I know, but lazy, Tomcat 5.5 question

Posted by Rick Reumann <st...@reumann.net>.
Robert Taylor wrote the following on 8/3/2005 7:06 PM:
> Rick, I'm sure you already have, but just in case you haven't...
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/logging.html
>
> It provides a pretty detailed explaination of how to configure
> cross-context logging using either log4j or java.util.logging package.
>
> BTW, Tomcat 5.5 uses Commons Logging which I think defaults to
> java.util.logging if its found and no other logging configs are specified.

Yea that was the problem. Thanks Robert. I actually didn't bother to
read those docs because I was assuming a default cross-context log would
be provided. Although I'm still a bit confused since I never ran into a
stdout log that Tomcat 5.5 says it should produce for stack traces?
(Unless by stdout log they mean the stdout to the console?):

"Tomcat 5.5 has done away with localhost_log which you may be familiar
with as the runtime exception/stack trace log. These types of error are
usually thrown by uncaught exceptions, but are still valuable to the
developer. They can now be found in the stdout log."

Not a big deal though since I'm back to using 5.0 because they changed
the way the JNDI stuff is done in tomcat 5.5 and since I'm deploying
eventually to tomcat 5 and not 5.5, I just went back to 5.0 locally as well.

Posted by Robert Taylor <64...@bellsouth.net>.
Rick, I'm sure you already have, but just in case you haven't...

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/logging.html

It provides a pretty detailed explaination of how to configure
cross-context logging using either log4j or java.util.logging package.

BTW, Tomcat 5.5 uses Commons Logging which I think defaults to
java.util.logging if its found and no other logging configs are specified.

/robert

Posted by Rick Reumann <st...@reumann.net>.
Woodchuck wrote the following on 8/3/2005 4:12 PM:

> anyway, that is strange that you don't have a
> catalina.<serverstartdate>.log file in your log folder.

I do have that file but I do not a catalina.out file, that Laurie
mentioned she had.

The problem is the catalina.timestamp.log file is not showing all the
errors going to the console that I would like.

For example, a snippet of stuff being dumped to the console that is not
showing up in any of my log files:

         at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:857)
         at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11Protocol.java:744)
         at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:527)
         at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:80)
         at
         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

Caused by:
javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: Name jdbc is not bound in this Context
         at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:769)
         at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:152)
         at
org.apache.naming.SelectorContext.lookup(SelectorContext.java:136)
         at javax.naming.InitialContext.lookup(InitialContext.java:351)
         at
com.ibatis.sqlmap.engine.datasource.JndiDataSourceFactory.initialize(JndiDataSourceFactory.java:52)
         at
com.ibatis.sqlmap.engine.builder.xml.SqlMapConfigParser$9.process(SqlMapConfigParser.java:301)
         at
com.ibatis.common.xml.NodeletParser.processNodelet(NodeletParser.java:112)
         at
com.ibatis.common.xml.NodeletParser.process(NodeletParser.java:96)
         at
com.ibatis.common.xml.NodeletParser.process(NodeletParser.java:93)
         at
com.ibatis.common.xml.NodeletParser.process(NodeletParser.java:93)
         at com.ibatis.common.xml.NodeletParser.parse(NodeletParser.java:63)
         at com.ibatis.common.xml.NodeletParser.parse(NodeletParser.java:51)
         at
com.ibatis.sqlmap.engine.builder.xml.SqlMapConfigParser.parse(SqlMapConfigParser.java:78)
         at
com.ibatis.sqlmap.client.SqlMapClientBuilder.buildSqlMapClient(SqlMapClientBuilder.java:62)

Re: [OT] wrong list I know, but lazy, Tomcat 5.5 question

Posted by Woodchuck <wo...@yahoo.com>.
oops i thought it was per app logging you wanted .. sorry read to
quickly as usual :p

anyway, that is strange that you don't have a
catalina.<serverstartdate>.log file in your log folder.  i do.  my TC
is a straight install.

check your tomcat/common/classes folder.  you should have a default
logging.properties file there.  i'm looking at it and it's here that it
specifies the catalina.<serverstartdate>.log file.

woodchuck

Posted by Rick Reumann <st...@reumann.net>.

Posted by Woodchuck <wo...@yahoo.com>.
hihi,

the default logging in TC 5.5 uses JDK logging (ie. java.util.logging).

you need to create and place a logging.properties file in your web
app's classes folder.  the following is what i use (replace
"servlet-examples" with your web app name):

<---- copy from below this line ---->
handlers = org.apache.juli.FileHandler,
java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler

# Handler specific properties.
# Describes specific configuration info for Handlers.

org.apache.juli.FileHandler.level = FINE
org.apache.juli.FileHandler.directory = ${catalina.base}/logs
org.apache.juli.FileHandler.prefix = servlet-examples.

java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler.level = FINE
java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler.formatter =
java.util.logging.SimpleFormatter
<---- copy to the above line ---->

more info can be found here:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/logging.html