Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by theWoosh <na...@andystokes.com> on 2008/08/13 14:06:17 UTC

spamassassin failure causing mail bounces

Hi - I have a server (mail & web) set up with spamassassin 3.1.9 installed
with postfix 2.45 on Red Hat 4.1.2-13 kernel 2.6.22.14-72.fc6

3 users of the server I manage are having all incoming emails bounced with
the following:

temporary failure. Command output: procmail: Program failure (-25) of
"/usr/bin/spamassassin" procmail: Rescue of unfiltered data succeeded
procmail: Error while writing to "" procmail: Error while writing to
"/var/mail/lynn.<domain-name>"

(I have replaced the domain name with <domain-name> here)
When I look at cpu use using top it appears that between them, spamassassin
processes are taking up around 98% of processor use...
Any ideas why spamassassin should be failing? I couldn't locate an
explanation for error 25 - in the maillog the above error message is
appearing every few hundredths of a second - is spamassassin just not able
to cope with what might be a massive spam attack?

I can see that there is also a subsidiary problem that procmail seems to be
trying to save the emails to the wrong directory when spamassassin fails -
it should be going to /home/<domain>/homes/lynn in this case (but this is
not so much of a problem)...

ANy help would be gratefully recieve

Re: spamassassin failure causing mail bounces

Posted by theWoosh <na...@andystokes.com>.
/etc/postxix/main had mailbox_size_limit set to 11 megs - can't believe this
is the default! All 3 users are on holiday, so this is the first time this
limit had been reached...

upped it to half a gig and now the mail is getting through....

Re: spamassassin failure causing mail bounces

Posted by Martin Gregorie <ma...@gregorie.org>.
On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 06:24 -0700, theWoosh wrote:
> /etc/postfix/main had mailbox_size_limit set to 11 megs

That isn't a default value: the Postfix default is 51200000, 50 MB. The
mailbox_size_limit parameter is not defined in the default main.cf for
the current version of Postfix (2.4.5) so if it was present then
somebody has set it deliberately.

Another thought: if procmail is copying incoming mail into a mailbox in
the user's home directory and you're enforcing user filestore quotas
then that mailbox could overflow the quota and cause a procmail error.

Martin

Re: spamassassin failure causing mail bounces

Posted by Duane Hill <d....@yournetplus.com>.
On Wed, 13 Aug 2008, theWoosh wrote:

> /etc/postfix/main had mailbox_size_limit set to 11 megs - can't believe this
> is the default! All 3 users are on holiday, so this is the first time this
> limit had been reached...
>
> upped it to half a gig and now the mail is getting through....

11 messages? They must have been pretty large. The default
mailbox_size_limit is 512000000 Kb as distributed from the Postfix web
site.

-d

Re: spamassassin failure causing mail bounces

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.
Diverting from the original question...

> Spamassassin is now down to  *ONLY* 45% of cpu or thereabouts...

Use spamc/spamd!

According to your OP, you are calling spamassassin, forking a new
heavy-weight process for each mail. This comes with a considerable
start-up penalty. You can get rid of this and lower your machines load,
for trading off some memory.

> .... they get a LOT of spam :-)

Probably not. ;)  With a lot of spam, using spamassassin rather than
spamd would fry your server.

IMHO, anyone who feels the need for SA (as opposed to some small-scale,
usually Bayes-only client side filtering) also needs a more
sophisticated method than plain 'spamassassin' calling per mail.

  guenther

Re: spamassassin failure causing mail bounces

Posted by theWoosh <na...@andystokes.com>.
Hi, thanks for your response...
I didn't set the limit so maybe it was set by default when procmail was
installed - can't remember if it came pre-configured or not (maybe it was
done via CP+ ?)

I am not setting quotas on any of the mail users, so this should not be a
problem I hope

Spamassassin is now down to  *ONLY* 45% of cpu or thereabouts...

.... they get a LOT of spam :-)

Cheers