Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Glen Mazza <gm...@talend.com> on 2011/02/27 08:31:21 UTC

Abusive/harrassing off-list emails

Folks, if Jeff Genender--or anyone else--is sending any other committers
hateful or harrassing emails behind-the-scenes like what I got below
from him on Friday, feel free to forward the email directly to the
cxf-dev list for all to see.  No committer has the right to be
harrassing other committers behind-the-scenes and insisting on anonymity
while doing so.

Further, all charges made behind-the-scenes by Jeff to another committer
can be taken to the dev list, *if* desired by the person receiving the
charge, in order to properly air out and defend himself against the
charge, possibly with the help of other team members.  Contrary to what
Jeff is implying below, you are always most welcome to go public on
charges made privately against you if doing so helps you defend yourself
against the charge.  You do not need Jeff's permission to go public on
charges he decides to press against you privately.

Finally, contrary to how he may arrogantly act, Jeff is a mostly
inactive committer on the CXF project, and has no special ranking or
standing on the team compared to any other CXF committer.  His ASF
membership does not grant him additional powers to be judging people
behind the scenes or to magically strip people of their committership.
Do not be cowed by his threats, whether implicit or direct, as I
received from him below.

Regards,
Glen

Subject: [offlist again and no, onlist is not fine!] Re: [onlist is
fine!] Re: [offlist] Re: SOAP over JMS and CXF.
Date:     Sat, 26 Feb 2011 04:11:50 +0100
From:     Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>
To:     Glen Mazza <gm...@talend.com>
CC:     Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>

Hi Glen!

You are right, I didn't have to go off list.  I sent you the private
email out of respect to you.  But that clearly was all for naught - what
an idiot I am, eh? ;-)  I guess I really didn't need to be too concerned
about you getting your dirty laundry aired in the public as you did a
fine job of doing that yourself.  What you fail to realize is that
Google has a way of not forgetting certain things... and unfortunately
it will be to your detriment and loss.  But, no worries, you did this by
your own accord and I can at least look in the mirror knowing that I at
least tried to do the right thing ;-)

Additionally, I also try to make it a point not to post private emails
w/o all parties' permission (thats kind of an unwritten law at Apache as
well as personal respect), but I am also careful to be sure that what I
do say privately is nothing that will reflect on me or come back to bite
me in the culo... I'm sure you remember the Wikileaks debacle ;-)

Unfortunately, your "overstepping" has occurred more than just today,
Glen, and you need to get your respect for the community in check and
watch what you write [2].  You have been called out a couple of times by
the PMC chair which is a red flag that you are acting out of sorts.  I
don't know what is going on in your personal life, but you need to keep
your issues from damaging the CXF community.

So I am personally asking you as a CXF community member to please check
yourself and if you need to have a tantrum, bring it offlist or into the
PMC or maybe to your employer and we can take care of it there.  Your
out-lashing and disrespect for others is not appropriate behavior and it
hurts our community.  Lets move along, shall we?

Jeff

[2]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/cxf-dev/201102.mbox/%3c4D4A2A9C.70207@talend.com%3e

--
Glen Mazza
Software Engineer, Talend (http://www.talend.com)

Re: Handling off-list emails

Posted by Glen Mazza <gm...@talend.com>.
Thanks, appreciate it!

Re: Handling off-list emails

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.

Handling off-list emails

Posted by Glen Mazza <gm...@talend.com>.

Re: Abusive/harrassing off-list emails

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
I plead with all and sundry to back off from this unedifying spectacle.

If someone posts something on a public list you don't like, start by
politely calling it out on the dev list. If you don't get an answer
that satisfies you, head for private@. If you think something truly
awful is going on, or you aren't a PMC member, ping Dan.

I, for one, am going to try really hard to pretend that I didn't read
any of this, since it makes my eyeballs hurt.

Re: Abusive/harrassing off-list emails

Posted by Craig Tataryn <cr...@tataryn.net>.

Posted by Glen Mazza <gm...@talend.com>.

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.