Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Bala Paranj <bp...@yahoo.com> on 2006/08/16 20:05:19 UTC

Using Subversion in a dumb organization

I know what it is like using some version control systems that are total screw-ups for even
simplest tasks.

I am joining a company that is using MS source safe as the source control. I am planning to use
Subversion for my own purposes using svn protocol. This way I would always have the history of my
source files and leverage other sound features of Subversion.

I would like to know the best approach to using Subversion with MS source safe in this kind of a
scenario. Any ideas? TIA.

Re: Using Subversion in a dumb organization

Posted by Garrett Fitzgerald <sa...@gmail.com>.
On 8/17/06, Kevin Greiner <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I know VSS doesn't have a great reputation but, IMO, it's certainly better
> than nothing. Personally, I've used it for years and never lost data due to
> a VSS bug. Your experience may differ, of course.

Run ANALYZE.EXE early and often.

Re: Using Subversion in a dumb organization

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.
--On Monday, August 21, 2006 12:01 PM -0400 Toby Johnson
<to...@etjohnson.us> wrote:

> Since any perceived "security" in VSS is simply a smokescreen (since
> using VSS requires full read/write/delete access to its underlying file
> shares), a fun tactic is to demonstrate this fact to the powers that be
> (not by anything malicious of course, just showing them that you could
> browse around the repo backend and basically change/delete data files,
> change access privileges, etc.)

In fact, the vss2svn conversion completely ignores the "security" files and
goes straight to the backend database. It works fine with a read-only
share,  or a copy of your VSS repo on CD, as well.

Re: Using Subversion in a dumb organization

Posted by Toby Johnson <to...@etjohnson.us>.
Kevin Greiner wrote:

> On 8/16/06, *Bala Paranj* <bparanj@yahoo.com
> <ma...@yahoo.com>> wrote:
>
>     I am joining a company that is using MS source safe as the source
>     control. I am planning to use
>     Subversion for my own purposes using svn protocol. This way I
>     would always have the history of my
>     source files and leverage other sound features of Subversion.
>

> Good luck. That sounds very difficult. In particular, operations like
> moving and renaming files and directories sounds very hard to
> duplicate properly between a remote VSS server and a local svn
> repository. You'll also have to deal with sync'ing two different
> working copies or having both svn and vss control files/directories in
> the same working copy. That doesn't sounds fun either.
>
> I know VSS doesn't have a great reputation but, IMO, it's certainly
> better than nothing. Personally, I've used it for years and never lost
> data due to a VSS bug. Your experience may differ, of course.

Then you're certainly one of the lucky ones! Many people don't even
realize they've lost data until they try to actually do a full dump of
their VSS repo with full history, and find that much of their data is
now unretrievable. Analyze.exe helps but is very limited in what it can do.

Bala, rather than try to get Subversion to coexist with VSS, I'd try to
convince your new company to switch to Subversion. Start talking about
its benefits any chance you get.

Posted by Kevin Greiner <gr...@gmail.com>.