Posted to dev@deltaspike.apache.org by Jason Porter <li...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/26 21:39:26 UTC

Sandbox for DeltaSpike

Hey everyone!

I wanted to bring up the idea of having a sandbox to add bits and other
non-core extensions. We have a great bunch of people from the
Seam development group looking to add their extensions, but they're either
not on the roadmap for DS, or are very far down. I suggest we setup a
sandbox on github people can write to, or at least do pull requests to so
we can get some of these modules and other ideas in and pull them into core
as we get there. We can also use this as a vetting ground for new ideas and
other things which may not exactly fit into core, like the forge extension.

To do this we need to

1. Setup the repo somewhere
2. Seed it with a basic structure (pom.xml, contribution instructions, etc)
3. Get some CI setup somewhere (we could leverage OpenShift for this if
needed)

What does everyone else think? I've cc'd the Seam Development list here
hoping to get some feedback from them as well and hopefully rekindle some
of the fire we had there.

--
Jason Porter
http://lightguard-jp.blogspot.com

Software Engineer
Open Source Advocate

PGP key id: 926CCFF5

Re: [seam-dev] Sandbox for DeltaSpike

Posted by Marius Bogoevici <mb...@redhat.com>.
+1

We have taught ourselves to write self-explanatory code, and that is starting to show ;)

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by "Lincoln Baxter, III" <li...@gmail.com>.

marius.bogoevici@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think it is a good idea. Discussions can and should take place, but
> IMO an opend sandbox would be a good place to stage code for new
> features without endangering the stability of the whole project.
>

> On 12-06-26 3:39 PM, Jason Porter wrote:
> > Hey everyone!
> >
> > I wanted to bring up the idea of having a sandbox to add bits and other
> > non-core extensions. We have a great bunch of people from the
> > Seam development group looking to add their extensions, but they're
> either
> > not on the roadmap for DS, or are very far down. I suggest we setup a
> > sandbox on github people can write to, or at least do pull requests to so
> > we can get some of these modules and other ideas in and pull them into
> core
> > as we get there. We can also use this as a vetting ground for new ideas
> and
> > other things which may not exactly fit into core, like the forge
> extension.
> >
> > To do this we need to
> >
> > 1. Setup the repo somewhere
> > 2. Seed it with a basic structure (pom.xml, contribution instructions,
> etc)
> > 3. Get some CI setup somewhere (we could leverage OpenShift for this if
> > needed)
> >
> > What does everyone else think? I've cc'd the Seam Development list here
> > hoping to get some feedback from them as well and hopefully rekindle some
> > of the fire we had there.

Lincoln Baxter, III
http://ocpsoft.org
"Simpler is better."

Re: Sandbox for DeltaSpike

Posted by Marius Bogoevici <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Lincoln Baxter, III" <li...@gmail.com>.
+1

I think this is a great idea! We certainly want to make sure that we are
supporting innovation of community members, and this would help a great
deal.

~Lincoln

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 3:39 PM, Jason Porter <li...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hey everyone!
>
> I wanted to bring up the idea of having a sandbox to add bits and other
> non-core extensions. We have a great bunch of people from the
> Seam development group looking to add their extensions, but they're either
> not on the roadmap for DS, or are very far down. I suggest we setup a
> sandbox on github people can write to, or at least do pull requests to so
> we can get some of these modules and other ideas in and pull them into core
> as we get there. We can also use this as a vetting ground for new ideas and
> other things which may not exactly fit into core, like the forge extension.
>
> To do this we need to
>
> 1. Setup the repo somewhere
> 2. Seed it with a basic structure (pom.xml, contribution instructions, etc)
> 3. Get some CI setup somewhere (we could leverage OpenShift for this if
> needed)
>
> What does everyone else think? I've cc'd the Seam Development list here
> hoping to get some feedback from them as well and hopefully rekindle some
> of the fire we had there.
>
> --
> Jason Porter
> http://lightguard-jp.blogspot.com
> http://twitter.com/lightguardjp
>
> Software Engineer
> Open Source Advocate
> Author of Seam Catch - Next Generation Java Exception Handling
>
> PGP key id: 926CCFF5
> PGP key available at: keyserver.net, pgp.mit.edu

Lincoln Baxter, III
http://ocpsoft.org
"Simpler is better."

Re: Sandbox for DeltaSpike

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
Hi Bolek, welcome on board!

I think a bit too much 'noise' is much better than too less information on the list. One of the core principals of the ASF is 'community for code'. The best source is almost useless if there is no community around. Thus one of the most important stuff at the ASF is _communication_!

There is another saying at the ASF: "If it didn't happen on the list, it didn't happen at all."
Which means all decisions must be done on the mailing list. This is an _open_ source project. Making decisions in some private back-chat is not 'open'. Even IRC is bad if too much work is done there and not on the list, because IRC is not really timezone and $$dayjob friendly.

Btw, a completely general note about communication between technicians (has nothing to do with Bolek now):

Don't take anything personal.

If we talk here, then it's purely technical. And if someone tells me I have messed up some parts, well than this is NOT against me personally, but against the part I did. Maybe I missed something, maybe I didn't have my best day, ... I might have done other parts perfectly fine.

What would be WAY worse than telling me I broke something to not speak out and let the broken logic/source in the project!
Thus: review, review, review!

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Boleslaw Dawidowicz <bo...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Re: Sandbox for DeltaSpike

Posted by Jason Porter <li...@gmail.com>.
Maybe we should do a new thread for the security stuff so we don't derail
this one.

Having talked to some of the Seam Contributors here at JBoss World / Red
Hat Summit it seems like a lot of them aren't quite sure how to get the
discussions started for their previous Seam modules, especially since many
of them target EE apis (I'm ccing the Seam dev list so hopefully those who
may not be following DeltaSpike dev will see this). That is a large part of
where this sandbox idea came from. If we want to create a new Apache repo,
or another sub directory in our current repo, or perhaps even different
branches for this work I'm fine. However, I do agree that getting too many
topics going all at once is bad. That happened in Seam and we were
overloaded. Perhaps we should create some sort policy for getting these
ideas in if they're not on the current roadmap. I'm not sure if any of
really know when we'll be tackling some of the EE stuff. Next release,
release after that one? I really don't want to lose these people and see
DeltaSpike stagnate with only a few developers doing it in their spare time.

Re: Sandbox for DeltaSpike

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Re: Sandbox for DeltaSpike

Posted by Jason Porter <li...@gmail.com>.

Re: Sandbox for DeltaSpike

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Re: Sandbox for DeltaSpike

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.

Re: Sandbox for DeltaSpike

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Re: Sandbox for DeltaSpike

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.

Re: Sandbox for DeltaSpike

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Re: Sandbox for DeltaSpike

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.
i agree with mark.

Re: Sandbox for DeltaSpike

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Re: Sandbox for DeltaSpike

Posted by Jason Porter <li...@gmail.com>.

Re: Sandbox for DeltaSpike

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
Btw, another thingy.

Re: Sandbox for DeltaSpike

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
> We also have a bunch of Seam devs (Cody, Marius, George, etc.) asking about when they can put their bits into DeltaSpike

That's perfect, but doing stuff off-list is not increasing the visibility of this work.

Cody, Marius, George are all already DeltaSpike committer!

PLEASE, just put your ideas on the deltaspike-dev mailing list and start a quick introduction about what you like to add!

The momentum is used best if you commit that stuff.
Of course there is a difference in the way the seam3 project and Apache projects are developed. In Apache projects there is no code ownership. Every line gets reviewed and improved 5 times from 10 pairs of eyes. Please be one of those 10++ pairs of eyes and also start reviewing code or add new functionality!

LieGrue,
strub

Re: Sandbox for DeltaSpike

Posted by Jason Porter <li...@gmail.com>.