Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by "Oliver Erlewein (DSLWN)" <Ol...@datacom.co.nz> on 2008/09/15 02:20:22 UTC

Performance Differences Java 5 and Java 6

Hi all,

I've got quite a big JMeter harness and it's still running Fedora 5 for the JMeter load drivers. Now I want to update those boxes to Ubuntu 8.04. i.e. I have upgraded one of the boxes and am running two against each other to see that nothing has changed. Well.... they are different. It looks like I have more variance in my results and the average response time is 50-100ms higher (about 15% of total average response time) with the new Ubuntu box with the same test plan.

I've checked most of the network settings and they are the same (if not better on Ubuntu). The boxes are physically the same and are on the same switch and network infrastructure.

The only other difference is Java. Fedora runs 1.5.0_b07 and Ubuntu is 1.6.0_07. In my testing-Java oblivion I didn't pay too much attention to this previously but with differences what they are it becomes vital to me to track this deviation down. I have now installed Java 1.5.0_16 on Ubuntu and am running the tests again (will take a day though).

If software/config can have such an impact on my perf test results I'm getting very concerned. This means I have to really watch out for exact installations and hardware. Not really something I want to go into...

Anyone notice any differences with different Java versions? Anything else I should check? Or any other wild and wondrous ideas?!

Cheers & Thanks!
Oliver

RE: Performance Differences Java 5 and Java 6

Posted by "Oliver Erlewein (DSLWN)" <Ol...@datacom.co.nz>.
Hi sebb,

After long tests and configs I've finally tracked down the issue. I had suspected the OS but when I copied the old HDD back (with Fedora5) the speed discrepancies remained!

Although all PC's I use for the test are (were supposed to be) same spec HP's they seem to be slightly different. Two are 3Ghz HPs and four are 3.2Ghz HPs. Interestingly enough the 3.2Ghz ones are showing the worse NIC performance. I guess there are slight NIC differences. I still need to check that.

So it wasn't the OS but the hardware. Which is similarly disconcerting. That means I can have better or worse results depending on my hardware. Even if it is nearly the same. I'm measuring a response time where the average is 700-750ms and a difference of 50-100ms is quite significant and can make our day (or not).

Somehow I still think we'd need some kind of process to tune/calibrate JMeter. Oh and I have no clue what that would look like but I am thinking....

Cheers
Oliver

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Oliver Erlewein (DSLWN)" <Ol...@datacom.co.nz>.
Hi

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Oliver Erlewein (DSLWN)" <Ol...@datacom.co.nz>.
Hi Sebb,

Java 1.6 on the Fedora boxes won't be easy (that's one of the reasons why I'm doing the upgrade). I'll have a try though.

I've run Java 1.5.11 tests on Ubuntu. They look slightly faster but still can't really compare. The whole samples graph looks different. The times are still about 30-50ms out (ant that's quite a difference to us). This whole story makes me think we need some kind of reference machine & reference test. How do I know that my set-up is correct and is measuring the solution and not the test harness?! Or would it be better to output the processing times for each thread with the samples? Any ideas?

Cheers Oliver

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.