Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Benjamin Donnachie <be...@pythagoras.no-ip.org> on 2005/09/04 01:15:17 UTC

[users@httpd] Running as authenicated user?

I hope I'm asking this in the right area...  I've searched the apache docs
with no luck so far...

My server runs procmail as the mail delivery agent and ideally I would like
to use procbuilder (http:
//www.uvm.edu/opensource/?Page=procbuilder.html) as a frontend to allow
users to easily edit
their own procmail rules over the web.

This means that procbuilder needs to access the authenticated user's
.procmailrc file in their home
directory.  Apache correctly won't run the cgi script as root and procmail
completely ignores the
.procmailrc file if it's not solely owned by the current user and only
accessible by them - thus
ruling out groups.

Apart from setting up procbuilder for each user individually - is there a
way to set it up centrally
and allow it to access the home directory for the currently authenticated
user?

Many thanks,

--
Benjamin
benjamin@pythagoras.no-ip.org

Re: [users@httpd] Running as authenicated user?

Posted by Dan Trainor <in...@hostinthebox.net>.
Benjamin Donnachie wrote:
> I hope I'm asking this in the right area...  I've searched the apache docs
> with no luck so far...
>
> My server runs procmail as the mail delivery agent and ideally I would like
> to use procbuilder (http:
> //www.uvm.edu/opensource/?Page=procbuilder.html) as a frontend to allow
> users to easily edit
> their own procmail rules over the web.
>
> This means that procbuilder needs to access the authenticated user's
> .procmailrc file in their home
> directory.  Apache correctly won't run the cgi script as root and procmail
> completely ignores the
> .procmailrc file if it's not solely owned by the current user and only
> accessible by them - thus
> ruling out groups.
>
> Apart from setting up procbuilder for each user individually - is there a
> way to set it up centrally
> and allow it to access the home directory for the currently authenticated
> user?
>
> Many thanks,

Benjamin -

How dfficult would it be to make a script in PHP or a cgi to sudo to
root and run this single command, which would run procbuilder?  I don't
think you're going to find exactly what you're looking for with Apache.

Hope that helps
-dant