Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com> on 2011/11/25 14:47:45 UTC

[CODE]: spellchecker, hunspell, MacOS

Hi,

do anybody know if Hunspell is also used and necessary on MacOS?

I noticed some build problems after the latest update and did a build
without --enable-hunspell. The build breaks in
lingucomponent/.../macspellimpl.cxx

There was still a dependency to some types defined in Hunspell. I tried
to fix that and was able to build...

But it seems that spellchecking doesn't work, and also redlining doesn't
work. Before i take a closer look in this problem i would like to know
if it should work without Hunspell in general.

Any hints are welcome.

Juergen

Re: [CODE]: spellchecker, hunspell, MacOS

Posted by eric b <er...@free.fr>.
Le 25 nov. 11 à 14:47, Jürgen Schmidt a écrit :

> do anybody know if Hunspell is also used and necessary on MacOS?

I don't know exactly (native spellchecker is used imho) but it is
built as static library IIRC.

> I noticed some build problems after the latest update and did a
> build without --enable-hunspell. The build breaks in
> lingucomponent/.../macspellimpl.cxx

What is the error ?

> There was still a dependency to some types defined in Hunspell. I
> tried to fix that and was able to build...

Please provide a log.

> But it seems that spellchecking doesn't work, and also redlining
> doesn't work. Before i take a closer look in this problem i would
> like to know if it should work without Hunspell in general.

FYI, I upgraded hunspell version to 1.3.1 in OOo4Kids, and maybe I
could reverse the patch to Apache OpenOffice.org ?

There was some issue mostly on Windows (I took me some times to
figure out what happened if I remember correctly)

Regards,
Eri

--
qɔᴉɹə
Blog : http://eric.bachard.org/news

Re: [CODE]: spellchecker, hunspell, MacOS

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.
> On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 05:32:39PM +0100, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
>> On 11/25/11 3:54 PM, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
>>> Hi Jürgen,

>>> it was me who removed the dependency on hunspell there.
>>> By reading the sources (I don't have a MacOS, and never will) in
>>> trunk/main/lingucomponent/source/spellcheck/macosxspell/
>>> that code has no dependency at all in libhunspell.
>> no problem at all
>>

>>> The dependency on hunspell was spread all over the components there,
>>> sure a bug of copy-and-pasting the makefiles.
>> probably yes
>>

>>> So you should be able to build the MacOSXSpell component without
>>> hunspell enabled, and spell checking should work with only this
>>> component installed. Otherwise, its a bug (I tested the changes both on
>>> Linux and WinXP and the three components can be build and installed
>>> independently form each other; the same should work in MacOS).
>> that was my understanding as well

>>> that's quite strange. Do you have the logs?
>>> Was it a clean build?
>> yes, and it was simple compiler error, "dictentry" not defined ...
>> But the whole code looks strange, some places were changed where
>> this type was used before. I have changed the code and removed
>> unused stuff...
>>

>>> The dependency on hunspell should now be only limited to
>>> trunk/main/lingucomponent/source/spellcheck/spell/ that is the only UNO
>>> component that interfaces with libhunspell.
>>> All the other code in lingusitic and lingucomponent should work out fo
>>> the box without hunspell.
>>
>> after my small changes it built as expected

>>> for spell checking to work you need the dictionaries (I have no idea
>>> what kind of dictionaries supports MacOS), but without dictionaries
>>> installed the UNO component are not even listed in Tools - Options
>>> - Linguistic - Writing Aids
>>
>> i used an English version and at least the English dictionary is
>> installed. In other built office versions the spellchecker worked.

>>> AFAIK redlining does not depend on spell checking
>>
>> but on dictionaries, i am no expert here and have to take a closer
>> look on it

>>> AFAIK it should, just look at the sources, macspellimp.hxx and
>>> macspellimp.cxx have no reference to hunpsell (the references I removed
>>> - look at the log - where there just because of a copy-and-paste error
>> >from the hunspell spell checker; the same is valid for the makefile.mk).
>>>

>> yes i have seen it.
>>
>> I assumed that somewhere is something triggered by Hunspell that now
>> doesn't work. I don't know yet. The only thing i see is that it
>> doesn't work. I will keep you informed.
>
> see if the attached patch solves your issue.
indeed you patch solves the problem and the spellchecker is now working
on MacOS as well without --enable-hunspell.

I will integrate it with my changes in the code. But there is still some
work for MacOS open to handle user dictionaries in a proper way or to
clean the code finally. Postponed to later.

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
> [...]
>

> >>and also redlining doesn't work.
> >
> >AFAIK redlining does not depend on spell checking
>
> but on dictionaries, i am no expert here and have to take a closer
> look on it
>

> >>Before i take a closer look in this problem i would
> >>like to know if it should work without Hunspell in general.
> >
> >AFAIK it should, just look at the sources, macspellimp.hxx and
> >macspellimp.cxx have no reference to hunpsell (the references I removed
> >- look at the log - where there just because of a copy-and-paste error
> >from the hunspell spell checker; the same is valid for the makefile.mk).
> >

> yes i have seen it.
>
> I assumed that somewhere is something triggered by Hunspell that now
> doesn't work. I don't know yet. The only thing i see is that it
> doesn't work. I will keep you informed.

see if the attached patch solves your issue.

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

Re: [CODE]: spellchecker, hunspell, MacOS

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi Jürgen,

Posted by Raphael Bircher <r....@gmx.ch>.
Am 25.11.11 14:47, schrieb Jürgen Schmidt:
> Hi,
>
> do anybody know if Hunspell is also used and necessary on MacOS?
On Mac we normaly use the native Spell checker. You can switch to the
OOo Spellchecker if you want. For Language who are supportet by Apple it
would be not a big Problem. But remember that OOo supports more
languages as Apple.