Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "daad@libero.it" <da...@libero.it> on 2007/05/08 23:34:57 UTC

Tomcat on centOS

We have installed tomcat 5.5.9 on centOS with cpanel but we're having some problem setting custom options.
For example we wish to set the maximum memory with -Xmx, so we open catalina.sh and we add it to JAVA_OPTS variable.
We then restart tomcat but it doesn't take the changes since "ps aux | grep tomcat" gives tomcat details and there is no -Xmx option.

I compared my installation on my local ubuntu box and catalina.sh files are the same, like the startup.sh ones.
And on my ubuntu box i can start tomcat with all the options i want.

Both box have last jdk, and http://127.0.0.1:8080/manager/html shows the correct jvm version on both.

The problem is that actually the centOS box http://127.0.0.1:8080/manager/status gives as maximum merory only 64mb, and since it's a 2 gb ram box it's really too low. But the changes we try to do seems ignored.

Anybody have a clue on how this works? Where does it take the configuration file from?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Tomcat on centOS

Posted by Scott Dunbar <sc...@xigole.com>.
I am using CentOS 4.4 but I don't think that this is specific to Linux
per se.

I've modified startup.sh to have:

CATALINA_OPTS="-Djava.awt.headless=true -Xmx512m"
export CATALINA_OPTS

after the comments at the top and it works fine. I also hard code my
JAVA_HOME in much the same way so that there isn't a confusion as to
which one to use.