Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com> on 2013/02/02 17:39:15 UTC

Outdated message - Must my Eclipse project "use a Java 6 JRE"?

I just did an svn co of the 4x branch and then ant eclipse and it says:

eclipse:
     [echo]
     [echo]       SUCCESS: You must right-click your project and choose Refresh.
     [echo]                Your project must use a Java 6 JRE.

Is Java 6 required? No Java 7? Or does this message simply need to restate the requirement from SYSTEM_REQUIREMENTS.txt: “Java 6 or greater. When using Java 7, be sure to install at least Update 1!”?

Maybe the build should say “Your project must use either a Java 6 JRE or a Java 7 JRE of at least Update 1”

I didn’t check to see what the other releases/trunks say.

-- Jack Krupansky

Re: Outdated message - Must my Eclipse project "use a Java 6 JRE"?

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 9:39 PM, Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org> wrote:
> On 2/2/2013 9:51 AM, Jack Krupansky wrote:
>>
>> Okay, I see the distinction now – Lucene/Solr themselves must be built
>> with Java 6, but apps that use them can be Java 6 or Java 7 (update 1 or
>> later). Got it.
>

> Because I'm using log4j, I always build Solr.  I do so on the Linux machine
> that runs it, which has JDK 7u11.  Is this a bad thing to do?

not at all. using 1.7 is actually recommended. We just guarantee that
it will run with 1.6 too and our bulidservers check that so a
problematic api won't slip through.

simon

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com>.