Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Todd <mi...@gmail.com> on 2017/06/23 16:53:15 UTC

Re: AW: 8.5.11/8.5.14 using SSLHostConfig protocols and ciphers list ignored

I'm experiencing the exact same issue with 8.5.14 - cipher list seems to be
ignored, regardless of what I put in SSLAbs and validating via browser on my
website a set of ciphers is used that I have not listed.

I am able to change protocols (for instance, I can remove TLSv1 and the
system correctly makes that change), but any changes to ciphers is
completely ignored.  I've tried adding just one cipher, I've tried OpenSSL
and Standard cipher names, I've put in gibberish.  All end in the exact same
result, no errors in the log and a list of cipher suites that I did not get
to pick.

I've also validated that the ciphers that I want to use are available to
Java - using 1.8, (
http://markmail.org/message/zn4namfhypyxum23#query:+page:1+mid:zn4namfhypyxum23+state:results
<http://markmail.org/message/zn4namfhypyxum23#query:+page:1+mid:zn4namfhypyxum23+state:results>
)

Really appreciate help or direction that anyone can give!

Todd

My relevant config:

Re: 8.5.11/8.5.14 using SSLHostConfig protocols and ciphers list ignored

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Todd,

On 6/30/17 1:30 PM, Todd wrote:
> Christopher Schultz-2 wrote
>> Yup: if you use iptables (ipchains hasn't been used in ...
>> decades?) to do port-redirection, then you are in fact hitting
>> Tomcat / JVM (essentially) directly.
>
> Yes - iptables, sorry brain fart.
>

> Christopher Schultz-2 wrote
>> Can you confirm whether or not you are using the OpenSSL
>> provider?
>
> How can I verify my provider?
>

> Christopher Schultz-2 wrote
>> What version of OpenSSL are you using? These cipher suites should
>> have well-known names and numeric identifiers (which is how the
>> TLS handshake works), but it looks like the cipher suite names
>> are somehow being confused.
>
> OpenSSL 1.0.2g
>

> Christopher Schultz-2 wrote
>> What happens if you narrow your cipher suite list down to a
>> single cipher? Does ssllabs report just a single available cipher
>> (even if it's not the one you configured)?
>>
>> - -chris
>
> Whether I put in a single cipher, literal garbage text, or the list
> that I want - ssllabs reports the same list of ciphers detected as
> I posted above. I also get the same cipher on Chrome that is not in
> the list I'm putting in my configuration as well.

This really sounds like something else is going on.

Are you *sure* that your hostname/IP from the outside world is really
routing to the place you think it is?

- -chris

Re: 8.5.11/8.5.14 using SSLHostConfig protocols and ciphers list ignored

Posted by Todd <mi...@gmail.com>.
Christopher Schultz-2 wrote
> Yup: if you use iptables (ipchains hasn't been used in ... decades?)
> to do port-redirection, then you are in fact hitting Tomcat / JVM
> (essentially) directly.

Yes - iptables, sorry brain fart.

Christopher Schultz-2 wrote
> Can you confirm whether or not you are using the OpenSSL provider?

How can I verify my provider?

Christopher Schultz-2 wrote
> What version of OpenSSL are you using? These cipher suites should have
> well-known names and numeric identifiers (which is how the TLS
> handshake works), but it looks like the cipher suite names are somehow
> being confused.

OpenSSL 1.0.2g

Christopher Schultz-2 wrote
> What happens if you narrow your cipher suite list down to a single
> cipher? Does ssllabs report just a single available cipher (even if
> it's not the one you configured)?
>
> - -chris

Whether I put in a single cipher, literal garbage text, or the list that I
want - ssllabs reports the same list of ciphers detected as I posted above.
I also get the same cipher on Chrome that is not in the list I'm putting in
my configuration as well.

AW: 8.5.11/8.5.14 using SSLHostConfig protocols and ciphers list ignored

Posted by lo...@kreuser.name.
Todd

>> Peter Kreuser wrote
>>>
>>> Can you provide a clean configuration that exhibits this behavior?
>>>
>>> What are you using to test the effective configuration?
>>
>> Another question: are you sure that you hit the Connector that you
>> configure? Tomcat should be reasonably configured in defaults with a
>> current JDK...
>>
>> 8443 or the like are not scanned with ssllabs! So it may as well hit an
>> apache on the same machine!
>>
>> Can you show detail on what ssllabs is complaining about?
>>
>> Best regards
>>
>> Peter
>
> Thank you Peter and Chris.
>
> I'm utilizing sslabs to check as well as just going to the site with Chrome
> and looking in developer tools to see the protocol that was selected.
>
> I understand that 8443 is not a normal port, I'm using ipchains to redirect
> traffic from 443 to 8443.  I believe that traffic is specifically hitting
> this webserver, as changes such as adding SSL or removing TLS 1.0 in the
> configuration file take immediate effect after restarting the Tomcat
> service.
>
> My current SSLHostConfig looks like this:
>
>        <SSLHostConfig protocols="TLSv1.2+TLSv1+TLSv1.1"
>            honorCipherOrder="true"
>            ciphers="TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384,
> TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA256,
> TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA,
> TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256,
> TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA256,
> TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA,
> TLS_RSA_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA,
> TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA256,
> TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA384">
>            <Certificate certificateKeystoreFile="...."
>                certificateKeystorePassword="...."
>                type="RSA" />
>        </SSLHostConfig>
>
> But ssllabs reports the following ciphers:
> TLS_DHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA
> TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA
> TLS_DHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA256
> TLS_DHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256
> TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA256
> TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256
>
> None of these ciphers are included in my list, and changes to my cipher list
> has no effect at all on what is displayed by ssllabs.
>
> I'm stuck, so any ideas or guidance is appreciated, thank you!
> -Todd

Tomcat 8.5.14
OpenJDK on debian stretch 1.8.0_131

Using your conf I get the following - which is exactly what you ask for:

A- with:

TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 (0x9d)	256
TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA256 (0x3d)	256
TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA (0x35)		256
TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256 (0x9c)	128
TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA256 (0x3c)	128
TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA (0x2f)		128
TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA256 (0xc027)   ECDH sect571r1 (eq. 15360 bits RSA)   FS	128
TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA384 (0xc028)   ECDH sect571r1 (eq. 15360 bits RSA)   FS	256
TLS_RSA_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA (0xa)   WEAK	112
These include the numbers Chris is referring to.

- YIKES, do you need 3DES for IE8? Put that last with honorCipherOrder=true then SSLlabs will not punish you in the ranking.
- the cipher list is not optimal - as you are ranked A- with “ The server does not support Forward Secrecy with the reference browsers. Grade reduced to A-. “
	but we’ll work on that later

<Connector port="8443"
           protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Nio2Protocol"
           sslImplementationName="org.apache.tomcat.util.net.jsse.JSSEImplementation"
           allowTrace="false"
           maxThreads="150"
           SSLEnabled="true"
           compression="off"
           scheme="https"
           server="Apache Tomcat"
           secure="true">
   <SSLHostConfig
           hostName="logopk.no-ip.com"
           honorCipherOrder="true"
           certificateVerification="false"
           protocols="TLSv1+TLSv1.1+TLSv1.2"
              ciphers="TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384,
TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA256,
TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA,
TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256,
TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA256,
TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA,
TLS_RSA_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA,
TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA256,
TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA384">
    <Certificate certificateKeystoreFile="${catalina.base}/conf/ssl/jssecacerts"
                 certificateKeystorePassword="changeit"
                 certificateKeyAlias="tomcat"
                 type="RSA" />
   </SSLHostConfig>

It would be interesting to get more details on the connector and the underlying java version. We can see your SSL provider in the Connector...

BTW I do a NAT port forwarding from 443 to 8443.

Best regards

Peter

Re: 8.5.11/8.5.14 using SSLHostConfig protocols and ciphers list ignored

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Todd,

On 6/30/17 10:21 AM, Todd wrote:
> Peter Kreuser wrote
>>>
>>> Can you provide a clean configuration that exhibits this
>>> behavior?
>>>
>>> What are you using to test the effective configuration?
>>
>> Another question: are you sure that you hit the Connector that
>> you configure? Tomcat should be reasonably configured in defaults
>> with a current JDK...
>>
>> 8443 or the like are not scanned with ssllabs! So it may as well
>> hit an apache on the same machine!
>>
>> Can you show detail on what ssllabs is complaining about?
>>
>> Best regards
>>
>> Peter
>
> Thank you Peter and Chris.
>
> I'm utilizing sslabs to check as well as just going to the site
> with Chrome and looking in developer tools to see the protocol that
> was selected.
>
> I understand that 8443 is not a normal port, I'm using ipchains to
> redirect traffic from 443 to 8443.  I believe that traffic is
> specifically hitting this webserver, as changes such as adding SSL
> or removing TLS 1.0 in the configuration file take immediate effect
> after restarting the Tomcat service.

Yup: if you use iptables (ipchains hasn't been used in ... decades?)
to do port-redirection, then you are in fact hitting Tomcat / JVM
(essentially) directly.

> My current SSLHostConfig looks like this:
>
> <SSLHostConfig protocols="TLSv1.2+TLSv1+TLSv1.1"
> honorCipherOrder="true" ciphers="TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384,
> TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA256, TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA,
> TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256, TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA256,
> TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA, TLS_RSA_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA,
> TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA256,
> TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA384"> <Certificate
> certificateKeystoreFile="...." certificateKeystorePassword="...."
> type="RSA" /> </SSLHostConfig>

So, with that configuration you should get an NIO connector and, if
libtcnative is nearby, you should get the OpenSSL crypto provider.

Posted by Todd <mi...@gmail.com>.
Peter Kreuser wrote

Posted by Peter Kreuser <lo...@kreuser.name>.
Todd,

Peter Kreuser

Peter Kreuser

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: 8.5.11/8.5.14 using SSLHostConfig protocols and ciphers list ignored

Posted by Todd <mi...@gmail.com>.
Todd wrote
>> I'm experiencing the exact same issue with 8.5.14 - cipher list seems to
>> be
>> ignored, regardless of what I put in SSLAbs and validating via browser on
>> my
>> website a set of ciphers is used that I have not listed.
>>
>> I am able to change protocols (for instance, I can remove TLSv1 and the
>> system correctly makes that change), but any changes to ciphers is
>> completely ignored.  I've tried adding just one cipher, I've tried
>> OpenSSL
>> and Standard cipher names, I've put in gibberish.  All end in the exact
>> same
>> result, no errors in the log and a list of cipher suites that I did not
>> get
>> to pick.

Peter Kreuser wrote
> From looking at your answer on nabble I see that your ciphers are not in
> an xml attribute in the SSLHostConfig-Element, but in the body.
>
> Try
>
> <SSLHostConfig protocols="TLSv1.2+TLSv1+TLSv1.1"
>             honorCipherOrder="true"
>             ciphers="TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384,
> TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA256,
> TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA,
> TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256,
> TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA256,
> TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA,
> TLS_RSA_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA,
> TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA256,
> TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA384">
>
> <Certificate certificateKeystoreFile="...."
>                 certificateKeystorePassword="...."
>                 type="RSA" />
>
> </SSLHostConfig>
> Best regards
>
> Peter

Thank you Peter - I tried that previously, and just to double check tried it
again.  No difference at all.  a set of ciphers is being presented that do
not match to the cipher list that I've included at all.

Any other ideas as to what could be overriding this list?  As mentioned,
some things when edited do take effect, like the protocol selection (I can
remove TLS, add SSL, etc.), if I have a syntax error, the server won't start
and will give an error, but nothing I put in ciphers seems  to work.

Thank you
Todd

Re: 8.5.11/8.5.14 using SSLHostConfig protocols and ciphers list ignored

Posted by lo...@kreuser.name.
Todd,

> Am 23.06.2017 um 18:53 schrieb Todd <mincus@gmail.com <ma...@gmail.com>>:
>
> I'm experiencing the exact same issue with 8.5.14 - cipher list seems to be
> ignored, regardless of what I put in SSLAbs and validating via browser on my
> website a set of ciphers is used that I have not listed.
>
> I am able to change protocols (for instance, I can remove TLSv1 and the
> system correctly makes that change), but any changes to ciphers is
> completely ignored.  I've tried adding just one cipher, I've tried OpenSSL
> and Standard cipher names, I've put in gibberish.  All end in the exact same
> result, no errors in the log and a list of cipher suites that I did not get
> to pick.
>
> I've also validated that the ciphers that I want to use are available to
> Java - using 1.8, (
> http://markmail.org/message/zn4namfhypyxum23#query:+page:1+mid:zn4namfhypyxum23+state:results <http://markmail.org/message/zn4namfhypyxum23#query:+page:1+mid:zn4namfhypyxum23+state:results>
> <http://markmail.org/message/zn4namfhypyxum23#query:+page:1+mid:zn4namfhypyxum23+state:results>
> )
>
> Really appreciate help or direction that anyone can give!
>
> Todd
>
> My relevant config:

From looking at your answer on nabble I see that your ciphers are not in an xml attribute in the SSLHostConfig-Element, but in the body.

Try