Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Russell Bateman <ru...@windofkeltia.com> on 2017/02/16 16:55:48 UTC

Reporting tasks as processor properties

Reading the docs on Reporting Tasks, it seemed to me that they said that
hooking (my word) a reporting task up as a property to a processor is
the preferred way [1]. I wanted to confirm this as I have yet to stumble
upon a coded reporting task sample that does this (or, should I say, a
processor that has a reporting task as a property to set � la controller
service).

I understand controller services, hooking them up, etc., and I can
easily imagine how to consume a reporting task in similar fashion, but I
wanted a) to confirm that I'm not crazy and b) feel warm fuzzies that
this in fact best practice. Also, if you could refer me to a coded
processor consuming a reporting task from its properties that would make
me feel even warmer and fuzzier.

Thanks,

Russ

[1] /Developing a Reporting Task/
<https://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/html/developer-guide.html#developing-a-reporting-task>,
paragraph 2, near end.

Re: Reporting tasks as processor properties

Posted by Bryan Bende <bb...@gmail.com>.
Russell,

ReportingTasks are a global element that operate outside the the flow,
meaning they are not related to processors. They are meant to be
scheduled on some time interval to report things like metrics or
provenance to systems outside of NiFi.

The paragraph you referenced from the developer guide was talking
about when a ReportingTask needs to use a ControllerService, there are
two ways to obtain the controller service, and one way is preferred
over another. The only example of this is the
SiteToSiteProvenanceReportingTask which uses an SSLContextService.

Thanks,

Bryan