Posted to dev@excalibur.apache.org by Leif Mortenson <le...@tanukisoftware.com> on 2007/02/22 12:01:30 UTC

Minimum JDK version

Hi all,
I am looking at how best fix bug #EXLBR-34. What is the minimum Java version
that we are currently supporting? Do we still need to support 1.3? Or is
it ok
to use 1.4 packages?

Cheers,
Leif

Re: Minimum JDK version

Posted by Petteri Räty <be...@gentoo.org>.
Leif Mortenson wrote:
> Aaron,
>    It sounds like the sun APIs are still supported by Java 6, but will
> probably go away in
> Java 7.  One option is provide two versions of the jar.  One that works
> with 1.3 and
> the other that works with 1.4 and above.
>
>    Maybe a better option is to require that the jar be built on 1.4 or
> above, but let it
> work on 1.3.   I can do a class existence check on startup and then have
> two copies
> of the image generation based on a static flag.  Breaking those two
> implementations
> into difference classes would make it cleaner.
>      I have done something similar with the Java Service Wrapper.  It
> requires 1.3 or
> above to build, but runs with java 1.2 without some features.
>
>    Once people are using 1.4 and above, they are not going to need the
> JAI jars.
>
> Cheers,
> Leif

I am fine with this but please make it possible to build Excalibur
without JAI present via some property for example so then I will not
have to add JAI to dependencies as we only support >=1.4 on Gentoo any way.

Regards,
Petteri

Re: Minimum JDK version

Posted by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>.
Leif Mortenson <le...@tanukisoftware.com> writes:

>    Maybe a better option is to require that the jar be built on 1.4
> or above, but let it work on 1.3.  I can do a class existence check
> on startup and then have two copies of the image generation based on
> a static flag.  Breaking those two implementations into difference
> classes would make it cleaner.  I have done something similar with
> the Java Service Wrapper.  It requires 1.3 or above to build, but
> runs with java 1.2 without some features.

That would be better than requiring 1.4 so here's my +1 to that
solution.

--
  jaaron

Re: Minimum JDK version