Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dmitri Colebatch <di...@bigpond.net.au> on 2001/09/01 02:18:10 UTC

Re: accessing servlets without a port number

Alex,

port 80 is the default port for http, so what you are wanting to do is
have tomcat listen on port 80 instead of 8080.  to do this on a *nix box
you'd need to run tomcat as root (for 3.x anyway - I believe 4.0 has a
wrapper that does this properly), which isn't a good idea.  alternatively,
if you are using apache as well, then you need to configure mod_jk.

a good place to start is the docs in the distribution - have a look at
mod_jk, or edit server.xml and change 8080 to 80.

cheesr
dim

RE: Having problem with Tomcat 4.0b7 -> HTTP Status 503 - This application is not currently available

Posted by Marina Sturino <ma...@katamail.com>.
At 17.57 02/09/01 -0400, you wrote:
>Futher more, I also copy the serlet.jar into c:\tomcat4\common\lib , still
>fail.

Hi,
I'm installed Tomcat 4.06b on windows 2000 (and on windows 98), but i don't
moved the file servlet.jar, it's in the default directory C:\tomcat4\common\lib
and Tomcat works very well!

Best regards

Marina

>I know how to setup Tomcat 3.2.3 and Tomcat 3.3 beta, but I just CAN'T do that
>with Tomcat 4.0 b7
>
>killing me...

L'unico modo per accelerare windows 9.x/2K e' a 9,8 m/s^2 ;-)

Utente Linux registrato: #218195 (http://counter.li.org)

RE: Having problem with Tomcat 4.0b7 -> HTTP Status 503 - This application is not currently available

Posted by Dmitri Colebatch <di...@bigpond.net.au>.
Why are you moving servlet.jar - I'm a 3.2 user, but I just tried the tar
of 4.0b7 and it worked fine without moving anything.

hth
dim

Posted by Roger Wei <kh...@verizon.net>.

Re: Tomcat 4.0b7 -> JSP Examples dont work

Posted by Calvin Lau <al...@uclink4.berkeley.edu>.
I also found versions of jaxp.jar and crimson.jar under JAVA_HOME/lib/jaxp-1.1.  Will those conflict with the ones in
CATALINA_HOME?

Posted by Calvin Lau <al...@uclink4.berkeley.edu>.

Posted by Roland <ro...@netquant.com.br>.
Well, I had similar problems. I took a time until I realized that I had
overwritten the newer jar files in the tomcat_home/lib directory with the
older jar files from the b-5 version of Tomcat. Did you do the same mistake?

Roland

Re: Tomcat 4.0b7 -> JSP Examples dont work

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
Double check for an old copy of servlet.jar (or possibly jsdk.jar) in your
classpath, or in your system extensions directory
($JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext).  This particular error message happens whenever
there is more than one servlet.jar visible, and one of them is < servlet
2.3 / jsp 1.2.

Craig

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Sun, 2 Sep 2001, Roger Wei wrote:

> Then setup the CATALINA_HOME = c:\Tomcat4 , and move the "servlet.jar"
> into $catalina_home/lib

Why are you doing this?

The Tomcat 4 binary distribution includes servlet.jar in the one and only
place where it works correctly (in the "common/lib" directory).  You
should *not* move it anywhere else, or put it inside your web app.

> Roger

Craig

Having problem with Tomcat 4.0b7 -> HTTP Status 503 - This application is not currently available

Posted by pete <pe...@claudia.dyn.dhs.org>.
You could also use ipchains or similar to foward requests on port 80 to
some other port i.e. 8080 to avoid running tomcat as root.

-Pete