Posted to users@maven.apache.org by vdiprenda - optonline <vd...@optonline.net> on 2006/05/25 20:24:05 UTC

Using mvn install:install-file

I understand the mvn install:install-file should be used for third party jar
files. I'm assuming that things like classes12.jar from oracle would be
something I would have to install to use hibernate if I was in fact, looking
to talk to Oracle. I'm assuming that's the intention for the command.

What about a third party product that consists of multiple jar files. For
instance, if I want to use a product like Documentum that has several jar
files, would this be the way of loading the jars into the repository? I'm
assuming that the way to look at the dependency is by the GroupId,
ArtifactId and the versionId.

Should/could the mvn install:install-file command be used to load several
jars into one dependency?

Thanks
Vinnie

Re: Using mvn install:install-file

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
This is a very good point. We utilize similar pom projects of jar
clusters for dependencies that we find ourselves using repeatedly in
several projects, just to make our lives easier when building new
projects and dealing with upgrades of artifacts across multiple
projects.

Wayne

Posted by Eric Redmond <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by vdiprenda - optonline <vd...@optonline.net>.
Thanks Doug,

I'll take your advice.

Posted by Doug Douglass <do...@gmail.com>.

Posted by vdiprenda - optonline <vd...@optonline.net>.
"FYI, if you're not the only developer in your organization, you'll be well
served to create an intranet repository and place the Documentum (and other)
jars there so everyone benefits from your work. In addition, you could
create a POM-only project to bundle the various Documentum jars so they can
be added to your projects transitively via a single dependency."

You're exactly right. I jumped into Maven about 3 weeks ago. I've gotten so
sick of managing jar files and ant scripts for every new project. I'm hoping
for a big payoff by spending the up front time with things like Documentum.
It's these details though that bite and where you learn your best lessons.

Vinnie

Posted by vdiprenda - optonline <vd...@optonline.net>.
Thanks Doug,

The problem is the complexity that Documentum adds to the mix. To use the
API, they claim you only need to add the
c:\Program Files\Documentum\dctm.jar and c:\Program
Files\Documentum\shared\dfc.jar file to your classpath.

Of course the dctm.jar is nothing but a manifest that adds 20 jars or so to

Posted by Doug Douglass <do...@gmail.com>.